If you are like me, you are more than tired of hearing and seeing “Y.O.L.O.” Not only is the motto overused, but it’s basically a knockoff of the more mature, refined saying “Carpe Diem,” meaning “seize the day.” On his second Booth feature in just the past month, F. Stokes embodies that key difference in style. The Windy City rhymesayer spits about some of the same subjects the Y.O.L.O young’ns might—cars, smoking, and drinking—but does it from a more mature, grown-man perspective, showcasing a commanding, deep-voiced flow. Although the Midwesterner has a powerful approach on the mic, his delivery’s laid-back vibe works in tandem with the soulful boardwork of The.Kid.Sam.Spence. It makes me wonder whether he might have some Southern blood in him, too. Carpe Diem is part of Stokes’ forthcoming Fearless Beauty LP, scheduled for release in mid-June.
Written by Lucas G. on 06/6/13
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- Run The Jewels - Blockbuster Night (Part 1)
- T.I. ft. Skylar Grey - New National Anthem
- Interview With a “White Rapper”: Rittz on Race, Respect & Hip-Hop
- Statik Selektah - What Goes Around
- Wiz Khalifa - Blacc Hollywood
- Kanye West is Right, the Media is the Fucking Worst
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.