If you are like me, you are more than tired of hearing and seeing “Y.O.L.O.” Not only is the motto overused, but it’s basically a knockoff of the more mature, refined saying “Carpe Diem,” meaning “seize the day.” On his second Booth feature in just the past month, F. Stokes embodies that key difference in style. The Windy City rhymesayer spits about some of the same subjects the Y.O.L.O young’ns might—cars, smoking, and drinking—but does it from a more mature, grown-man perspective, showcasing a commanding, deep-voiced flow. Although the Midwesterner has a powerful approach on the mic, his delivery’s laid-back vibe works in tandem with the soulful boardwork of The.Kid.Sam.Spence. It makes me wonder whether he might have some Southern blood in him, too. Carpe Diem is part of Stokes’ forthcoming Fearless Beauty LP, scheduled for release in mid-June.
Written by Lucas G. on 06/6/13
Member Reviews and Ratings
- After Wiz Khalifa’s “Blacc Hollywood”, What Does a Number One Album Mean?
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)