If you are like me, you are more than tired of hearing and seeing “Y.O.L.O.” Not only is the motto overused, but it’s basically a knockoff of the more mature, refined saying “Carpe Diem,” meaning “seize the day.” On his second Booth feature in just the past month, F. Stokes embodies that key difference in style. The Windy City rhymesayer spits about some of the same subjects the Y.O.L.O young’ns might—cars, smoking, and drinking—but does it from a more mature, grown-man perspective, showcasing a commanding, deep-voiced flow. Although the Midwesterner has a powerful approach on the mic, his delivery’s laid-back vibe works in tandem with the soulful boardwork of The.Kid.Sam.Spence. It makes me wonder whether he might have some Southern blood in him, too. Carpe Diem is part of Stokes’ forthcoming Fearless Beauty LP, scheduled for release in mid-June.
Written by Lucas G. on 06/6/13
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Freddie Gibbs x Madlib ft. Action Bronson, Joey BadA$$ & Ransom - Knicks (Remix)
- All 79 Things Chance the Rapper Hates on “No Better Blues”
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Sirah - Lilies
- ShayGray - No Sense of Accomplishment
- F*ck Norms: Why the Critics Are Wrong About Yung Lean
- Lorenzo Asher, The Director #TopProspects
- Jay Rock - Parental Advisory
- Run the Jewels ft. Zack De La Rocha - Close Your Eyes (And Count to F*ck)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.