Since signing with Bad Boy/MMG/Interscope late last year, French Montana‘s been working overtime on the guest tip, racking up credits on cuts by Jadakiss, Wale, Akon, DJ Drama, Rick Ross and numerous other industry movers-and-shakers. Having imprinted his name on the national consciousness, the Bronx native cashes in a few favors on Pop That, his first official single at his new label home. As you may have guessed from the title, this cut finds Montana and his homies taking inspiration from Dr. Luke‘s classic I Wanna Rock as they voice their admiration for the female anatomy. Backed by beatsmith Anthony Lee‘s whip-ready 808 boardwork, the headliner delivers a freaky, flossed-out opener before passing the mic to Ricky Rozay for a luxuriant guest 16. YMCMB reppers Drizzy and Wayne lace the record’s latter half with, respectively, big-money braggadocio and free-associative weirdness. (Side note: I challenge all y’all to think of a rap line more disgusting than Weezy’s injunction to, “Pop that p**sy like a zit.”) Is this joint a suitably dope coming-out party for French Montana, or does he need to go back to the drawing board? Debate away—and keep it locked for more fresh tunes leading up to the July 17, release of Excuse My French.
Written by richard on 06/12/12
When you make a statement like “I have the best rap album out of New York in the past ten years,” it’s pretty obvious that a lot of heavy critique from hip-hop heads are just a hop, skip and jump away. You can’t help...
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"New York Minute ft. Jadakiss" (2009)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Kanye Thinks Drake is #1 Right Now - Is He Right? (Rap Power Rankings)
- The Weeknd - King of the Fall
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Mick Jenkins, The Conscience #TopProspects
- Jeremih x Shlohmo - No More EP
- Drake’s New Album is Titled “Views From the 6”: Dope, Wack or Eh?
- Real Recognize Real: GoldLink on Loving Lil Bibby, Shaq & Robots
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (June 2014)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.