Since signing with Bad Boy/MMG/Interscope late last year, French Montana‘s been working overtime on the guest tip, racking up credits on cuts by Jadakiss, Wale, Akon, DJ Drama, Rick Ross and numerous other industry movers-and-shakers. Having imprinted his name on the national consciousness, the Bronx native cashes in a few favors on Pop That, his first official single at his new label home. As you may have guessed from the title, this cut finds Montana and his homies taking inspiration from Dr. Luke‘s classic I Wanna Rock as they voice their admiration for the female anatomy. Backed by beatsmith Anthony Lee‘s whip-ready 808 boardwork, the headliner delivers a freaky, flossed-out opener before passing the mic to Ricky Rozay for a luxuriant guest 16. YMCMB reppers Drizzy and Wayne lace the record’s latter half with, respectively, big-money braggadocio and free-associative weirdness. (Side note: I challenge all y’all to think of a rap line more disgusting than Weezy’s injunction to, “Pop that p**sy like a zit.”) Is this joint a suitably dope coming-out party for French Montana, or does he need to go back to the drawing board? Debate away—and keep it locked for more fresh tunes leading up to the July 17, release of Excuse My French.
Written by richard on 06/12/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"New York Minute ft. Jadakiss" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- T.I. ft. Young Thug, Lil Wayne & Jeezy - About The Money (Remix)
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Nikki Jean - Haile Selassie
- Every Logic Song We’ve Ever Featured
- Shady XV: Eminem is Dropping a New Album & I Don’t Care
- S1 Confirms Kanye West Working on New Album, Songs Are “Feel Good” #A3CProAudio
- 5 Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed (10/20)
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.