Since signing with Bad Boy/MMG/Interscope late last year, French Montana‘s been working overtime on the guest tip, racking up credits on cuts by Jadakiss, Wale, Akon, DJ Drama, Rick Ross and numerous other industry movers-and-shakers. Having imprinted his name on the national consciousness, the Bronx native cashes in a few favors on Pop That, his first official single at his new label home. As you may have guessed from the title, this cut finds Montana and his homies taking inspiration from Dr. Luke‘s classic I Wanna Rock as they voice their admiration for the female anatomy. Backed by beatsmith Anthony Lee‘s whip-ready 808 boardwork, the headliner delivers a freaky, flossed-out opener before passing the mic to Ricky Rozay for a luxuriant guest 16. YMCMB reppers Drizzy and Wayne lace the record’s latter half with, respectively, big-money braggadocio and free-associative weirdness. (Side note: I challenge all y’all to think of a rap line more disgusting than Weezy’s injunction to, “Pop that p**sy like a zit.”) Is this joint a suitably dope coming-out party for French Montana, or does he need to go back to the drawing board? Debate away—and keep it locked for more fresh tunes leading up to the July 17, release of Excuse My French.
Written by richard on 06/12/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"New York Minute ft. Jadakiss" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.