Thanks to the success of his Cocaine City street DVD series, South Bronx native French Montana captured the attention of quite a few industry figures, many of whom had never previously heard of the aspiring emcee or his music. Earlier this year, during a meeting with SRC Records President Gaby Acevedo, Konvict Muzik label owner and pop hitmaker Akon was put on to Montana’s underground stylings. Almost immediately, Montana was flown out to Miami to meet with Kon, who shortly thereafter signed the artist/entrepreneur to a joint label deal. Now, several months later, the emcee is back to build on the tremendous buzz created by Jadakiss-assisted single New York Minute with his latest official release, Married To The Streets. Producer J. Cardim, whose boardwork has backed previous Booth features by Ariez Onasis and Sha Stimuli, supplies the motivational-jam backdrop and Akon assists his signee with one of his sing-along hooks. Montana’s debut is currently untitled and without a release date, but the emcee is set to drop several mixtapes over the next few months, including a Gangsta Grillz set with DJ Drama.
Written by DJ Z on 09/1/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"New York Minute ft. Jadakiss" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (1/23)
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- Rap Lines That Make No Fucking Sense: The Comeback
- Saba, The Native Son #TopProspects
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.