In recent years, Freeway has, if not departed from his traditional, hard-nosed image, diversified considerably; hell, last we heard from the Philly representative, he was waxing poetic about the joys of cuddling on rising R&B star Carlyle‘s sentimental single Never Go. While I’m as much of a fan of the new, more huggable Freeway as anyone, it’s nice to hear the freestyle alum‘s more aggressive side make its return on Turn It Up, a potential inclusion on the artist’s forthcoming collaborative EP with Bink!. As the record’s title suggests, this song is made to be blasted at high volume, with the veteran beatsmith serving up a bombastic, brass-sampled beat to back Freeway’s melodic yet bruising flows. Lyrically, the headliner keeps it straight gully, mixing larger-than-life braggadocio with outright hostility toward his enemies: “These n*ggas dead wrong, loud like an airhorn, hit ‘em with the cannon leave ‘em dead on Dearborn.” Find yourself reflexively turning the volume knob clockwise while listening to this hard-hitting selection? Then stay tuned for further details on Free and Bink!‘s collaborative project, as well as all the latest tunes!
Written by richard on 10/18/11
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Fast Forward ft. Freeway" (2006)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Interview With a “White Rapper”: Rittz on Race, Respect & Hip-Hop
- Statik Selektah - What Goes Around
- Wiz Khalifa - Blacc Hollywood
- Top 20 Hip Hop / R&B Songs Chart (August 18, 2014)
- Lupe Fiasco Puts Ratchet Appeal With a Concept “Next To It”
- Kanye West is Right, the Media is the Fucking Worst
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.