At a time when Pennsylvania is getting plenty of attention (lead by Wiz Khalifa), the man who first helped put PA hip-hop on the map, Freeway, is continuing to do his home state proud. The fifth installment in producer Boola’s series (and the second featured on DJBooth, see Ne-Yo’s Shot Down), finds the Freestyle Series alum linking up with crooner Lance Drummonds on the head-nodding Take It From Me. Produced by the former Roc-A-Fella in-house beatsmith, Take It From Me has a soulful backdrop of a beat with harmonious strings and soothing piano strokes, all of which Freeway spits gritty vocals over. That solid foundation allows singer Lance Drummonds to handle his own on the chorus and a melodious bridge towards the rear of the track, as Boola brings in handclaps and wraps things up in fashion. Overall, Take It From Me is a dope continuation of the more soulful work the Philly Freezer has turned in with Jake One on The Stimulus Package, and of Boola’s ever increasing reputation. Only time will tell what the rising producer has in store for us next week, but one things for sure; so far, so good.
Written by Ivan Ibarra on 11/28/10
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Fast Forward ft. Freeway" (2006)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- Run The Jewels - Blockbuster Night (Part 1)
- T.I. ft. Skylar Grey - New National Anthem
- Interview With a “White Rapper”: Rittz on Race, Respect & Hip-Hop
- Statik Selektah - What Goes Around
- Wiz Khalifa - Blacc Hollywood
- Kanye West is Right, the Media is the Fucking Worst
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.