At a time when Pennsylvania is getting plenty of attention (lead by Wiz Khalifa), the man who first helped put PA hip-hop on the map, Freeway, is continuing to do his home state proud. The fifth installment in producer Boola’s series (and the second featured on DJBooth, see Ne-Yo’s Shot Down), finds the Freestyle Series alum linking up with crooner Lance Drummonds on the head-nodding Take It From Me. Produced by the former Roc-A-Fella in-house beatsmith, Take It From Me has a soulful backdrop of a beat with harmonious strings and soothing piano strokes, all of which Freeway spits gritty vocals over. That solid foundation allows singer Lance Drummonds to handle his own on the chorus and a melodious bridge towards the rear of the track, as Boola brings in handclaps and wraps things up in fashion. Overall, Take It From Me is a dope continuation of the more soulful work the Philly Freezer has turned in with Jake One on The Stimulus Package, and of Boola’s ever increasing reputation. Only time will tell what the rising producer has in store for us next week, but one things for sure; so far, so good.
Written by Ivan Ibarra on 11/28/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Fast Forward" (2006)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Is Madonna Working on a Secret Rap Album?
- RyattFienix - Ryse of the Fienix
- Jaden Smith - Cool Tape Vol. 2
- 5 Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed (11/17)
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “L.A. vs. Everybody”?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)