Like class reunions, musical reunions have the potential to be either extremely dope or painfully wack. So is the lead single off Freeway‘s next EP the kind where you pull up in a limo, dazzle your old homies with tales of your many successes, and go home with that guy or girl who wouldn’t give you the time of day in study hall? Or the kind where you don’t do any of that, because you’re still broke and living with your parents? Though the career trajectories of the various participants in Roc Reunion have varied, I’m happy to say it feels more like the former. With Jake One‘s triumphant, choral vocal-sampled production banging in the back, Philly Free, Young Chris, Neef Buck, Memphis Bleek and Peedi Crakk attack the mic with righteous fury, casting harsh judgement on the path rap’s taken since the end of the Roc era. In addition to copping this record as part of the headliner’s Black Santa EP, which drops Christmas Eve, fans can catch Freeway, Bleek and the Young Gunz performing tomorrow in NY. (Click here to purchase tickets!) Free’s latest studio album, Diamond in the Ruff, is available now in stores and online.
Written by richard on 12/18/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Fast Forward" (2006)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Best/Worst of the Week: Wale & Seinfeld, Kendrick on “SNL” & More
- Obsessively Breaking Down the Demo Version of Eminem’s “Lose Yourself”
- Isaiah Rashad’s “Cilvia Demo” vs. Mick Jenkins’ “The Water[s]”
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- The Worlds Needs a Freddie Gibbs x BJ The Chicago Kid Album
- Is Madonna Working on a Secret Rap Album?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)