The Godfather trilogy (well, parts 1 & 2, anyway) is widely considered the quintessential gangster film series; it was only a matter of time before a major-label rapper would heavily interpolate it’s theme song, Speak Softly Love. Roc-A-Fella‘s Freeway is the first to do so on Paper Gangsters, right down to an Italian-sounding hook and Marlon Brando impression in the intro. During the three verses, Free calls out the fakes, haters, and snitches; letting the listener know that he shares most other rappers’ contempt. Keep an open ear for more street anthems when Free At Last is released on November 20th.
Written by Burmy on 10/21/07
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Fast Forward" (2006)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Epic Fail: Bobby Shmurda’s Label Cashed In & Then Bailed Out
- Open Mic: Why Rappers Need to Play Small Shows
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.