The Godfather trilogy (well, parts 1 & 2, anyway) is widely considered the quintessential gangster film series; it was only a matter of time before a major-label rapper would heavily interpolate it’s theme song, Speak Softly Love. Roc-A-Fella‘s Freeway is the first to do so on Paper Gangsters, right down to an Italian-sounding hook and Marlon Brando impression in the intro. During the three verses, Free calls out the fakes, haters, and snitches; letting the listener know that he shares most other rappers’ contempt. Keep an open ear for more street anthems when Free At Last is released on November 20th.
Written by Burmy on 10/21/07
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Fast Forward" (2006)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: Nicki Minaj’s (Kinda Boring) “The Pinkprint”
- Mike WiLL Made-It - Ransom
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.