First I want you to picture Freeway, one of the hardest emcees to ever come out of Philly. See the beard, see the cap? Got it? Now I want you to picture Pat Benatar, the 80s rock goddess (she’s probably wearing some spandex). Ok, now commence to laughing. Hilarious mental images aside, Free’s latest cut Love Is A Battlefield is no laughing matter. While producer Street Radio does heavily sample Benatar’s smash hit of the same name, Freeway is lyrically as hard as ever, dropping uncompromising rhymes that stand in hard contrast to the track’s soft chorus. Most notably, Freeway touches on the Beanie Sigel/Jay-Z quasi-beef, though not in the kind of detail the drama lovers would have wanted (he spends just as much time talking about how hot Alicia Keys is). It will definitely get people talking, though I’m not sure all the feedback will be positive. Love Is a Battlefield is not a part of Freeway’s upcoming collaborative album with Jake One, The Stimulus Package, due out February 17, 2010 on Rhymesayers Entertainment.
Written by Nathan S. on 12/3/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Fast Forward" (2006)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- Rap Quiz: Bet You Can’t Guess The Album Cover Pt. 6
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- 1 Listen Album Review: Drake’s “If You’re Reading This It’s Too Late”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.