I’m willing to bet that most of us, if we came across a food product whose packaging was simply labeled “Eat,” would be justly suspicious of its contents (at least, for your safety, I hope that’s the case). Mysterious musical works, however, are a different story—especially when they come from a brand as trustworthy as that of Philly street vet Freeway. On Listen, the latest single off his long-awaited junior set, the freestyle series alumnus uses the classic “bland title” gambit to draw heads’ attention to a joint that’s anything but generic. Here, Jake One‘s mellow piano loops, handclap percussion and chopped vocal samples set a progressive-yet-retro mood as Free drops his poetic, semi-autobiographical bars: “I’m poverty’s grandson, Mother Hubbard’s nephew, ain’t eat much cause the cupboards were bare.“ Does this thoughtful cut leave you craving more from the self-proclaimed “...rap version of Mozart.”? Then keep it locked for release details on the yet-unscheduled Diamond on the Ruff, which will be available for digital purchase via DJBooth.net.
Written by richard on 07/13/11
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Fast Forward ft. Freeway" (2006)
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Rick Ross ft. Project Pat - Elvis Presley Blvd.
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Chris Brown ft. Trey Songz - Songs on 12 Play
- Dyme-A-Duzin - Hip Hope
- “I’m Real”: Five Questions With Raury
- Mick Jenkins - DJBooth RapBox Freestyle
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.