I’m willing to bet that most of us, if we came across a food product whose packaging was simply labeled “Eat,” would be justly suspicious of its contents (at least, for your safety, I hope that’s the case). Mysterious musical works, however, are a different story—especially when they come from a brand as trustworthy as that of Philly street vet Freeway. On Listen, the latest single off his long-awaited junior set, the freestyle series alumnus uses the classic “bland title” gambit to draw heads’ attention to a joint that’s anything but generic. Here, Jake One‘s mellow piano loops, handclap percussion and chopped vocal samples set a progressive-yet-retro mood as Free drops his poetic, semi-autobiographical bars: “I’m poverty’s grandson, Mother Hubbard’s nephew, ain’t eat much cause the cupboards were bare.“ Does this thoughtful cut leave you craving more from the self-proclaimed “...rap version of Mozart.”? Then keep it locked for release details on the yet-unscheduled Diamond on the Ruff, which will be available for digital purchase via DJBooth.net.
Written by richard on 07/13/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Fast Forward" (2006)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Eminem Vs. DJ Whoo Kid - Shady Classics
- Omar LinX - Forgive Me
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.