I’m willing to bet that most of us, if we came across a food product whose packaging was simply labeled “Eat,” would be justly suspicious of its contents (at least, for your safety, I hope that’s the case). Mysterious musical works, however, are a different story—especially when they come from a brand as trustworthy as that of Philly street vet Freeway. On Listen, the latest single off his long-awaited junior set, the freestyle series alumnus uses the classic “bland title” gambit to draw heads’ attention to a joint that’s anything but generic. Here, Jake One‘s mellow piano loops, handclap percussion and chopped vocal samples set a progressive-yet-retro mood as Free drops his poetic, semi-autobiographical bars: “I’m poverty’s grandson, Mother Hubbard’s nephew, ain’t eat much cause the cupboards were bare.“ Does this thoughtful cut leave you craving more from the self-proclaimed “...rap version of Mozart.”? Then keep it locked for release details on the yet-unscheduled Diamond on the Ruff, which will be available for digital purchase via DJBooth.net.
Written by richard on 07/13/11
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Fast Forward ft. Freeway" (2006)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- It’s Electric: An EDM Guide For the Hip-Hop Head
- Best/Worst Of The Week: Coolio Turns To Porn, Nicki’s Comical Booty & More
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Sean Brown - The Top
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.