I’m willing to bet that most of us, if we came across a food product whose packaging was simply labeled “Eat,” would be justly suspicious of its contents (at least, for your safety, I hope that’s the case). Mysterious musical works, however, are a different story—especially when they come from a brand as trustworthy as that of Philly street vet Freeway. On Listen, the latest single off his long-awaited junior set, the freestyle series alumnus uses the classic “bland title” gambit to draw heads’ attention to a joint that’s anything but generic. Here, Jake One‘s mellow piano loops, handclap percussion and chopped vocal samples set a progressive-yet-retro mood as Free drops his poetic, semi-autobiographical bars: “I’m poverty’s grandson, Mother Hubbard’s nephew, ain’t eat much cause the cupboards were bare.“ Does this thoughtful cut leave you craving more from the self-proclaimed “...rap version of Mozart.”? Then keep it locked for release details on the yet-unscheduled Diamond on the Ruff, which will be available for digital purchase via DJBooth.net.
Written by richard on 07/13/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Fast Forward" (2006)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- Freddie Gibbs x Madlib ft. Action Bronson, Joey BadA$$ & Ransom - Knicks (Remix)
- All 79 Things Chance the Rapper Hates on “No Better Blues”
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Sirah - Lilies
- ShayGray - No Sense of Accomplishment
- F*ck Norms: Why the Critics Are Wrong About Yung Lean
- Lorenzo Asher, The Director #TopProspects
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.