I’m willing to bet that most of us, if we came across a food product whose packaging was simply labeled “Eat,” would be justly suspicious of its contents (at least, for your safety, I hope that’s the case). Mysterious musical works, however, are a different story—especially when they come from a brand as trustworthy as that of Philly street vet Freeway. On Listen, the latest single off his long-awaited junior set, the freestyle series alumnus uses the classic “bland title” gambit to draw heads’ attention to a joint that’s anything but generic. Here, Jake One‘s mellow piano loops, handclap percussion and chopped vocal samples set a progressive-yet-retro mood as Free drops his poetic, semi-autobiographical bars: “I’m poverty’s grandson, Mother Hubbard’s nephew, ain’t eat much cause the cupboards were bare.“ Does this thoughtful cut leave you craving more from the self-proclaimed “...rap version of Mozart.”? Then keep it locked for release details on the yet-unscheduled Diamond on the Ruff, which will be available for digital purchase via DJBooth.net.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Fast Forward ft. Freeway" (2006)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- FL (of The Foodchain) - Young Amsterdam
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Drama x Don Cannon x Trendsetter Sense - The Boondocks Mixtape (Season 4)
- Mick Jenkins - Steam
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Chart (April 14, 2014)
- Future - Honest LP
- Dizzy Wright - State of Mind EP
- Locksmith - A Thousand Cuts
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.