After belching away the last bubbles of NYE champagne and sweeping up pieces of shot glasses, the next thing on the “hate to do” list is to see what kind of trash piled up in my inbox. Luckily, something like an anthem from Freeway appeared instead. Hustle Baby reminds folks that their job in 2011 is to get roxy in their occupation, whatever that may be. Positive in its projection, the Freestyle Alum brings his rugged, roughneck mannerisms to a concept that’s a hip-hop New Years’ resolution: hustle hard to play harder. As the lead act for the newly formed G-Unit Philly, Free recruits production team Oddz.N.Endz for the record, sampling Mary J. Blige‘s vocals from I’m A Hustla (Remix), the hit single from fellow Philidelphian, Cassidy. Though the beat has a lot of components that make it a wide-eyed affair, it’s built on sound-effects that are meant to alarm listeners. Hustle Baby will find a home on Free’s forthcoming album, Diamond In the Ruff, which was set to release after Philadelphia Freeway but has yet to debut. Maybe he’s waiting for the Chinese New Year. I should have some new shot glasses by then.
Written by Sigmund's Dope on 01/3/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Fast Forward" (2006)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: Nicki Minaj’s (Kinda Boring) “The Pinkprint”
- Mike WiLL Made-It - Ransom
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.