After belching away the last bubbles of NYE champagne and sweeping up pieces of shot glasses, the next thing on the “hate to do” list is to see what kind of trash piled up in my inbox. Luckily, something like an anthem from Freeway appeared instead. Hustle Baby reminds folks that their job in 2011 is to get roxy in their occupation, whatever that may be. Positive in its projection, the Freestyle Alum brings his rugged, roughneck mannerisms to a concept that’s a hip-hop New Years’ resolution: hustle hard to play harder. As the lead act for the newly formed G-Unit Philly, Free recruits production team Oddz.N.Endz for the record, sampling Mary J. Blige‘s vocals from I’m A Hustla (Remix), the hit single from fellow Philidelphian, Cassidy. Though the beat has a lot of components that make it a wide-eyed affair, it’s built on sound-effects that are meant to alarm listeners. Hustle Baby will find a home on Free’s forthcoming album, Diamond In the Ruff, which was set to release after Philadelphia Freeway but has yet to debut. Maybe he’s waiting for the Chinese New Year. I should have some new shot glasses by then.
Listen to More: Freeway
Written by Sigmund's Dope on 01/3/11
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Fast Forward ft. Freeway" (2006)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- After Wiz Khalifa’s “Blacc Hollywood”, What Does a Number One Album Mean?
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)