In a recent interview with Mimi Soul of music blog Finding the B-Side, our own DJ Z stated that “Independent artists and labels are the future of this industry,” and, judging by the increasing number of major artists jumping ship, that future doesn’t seem too far off. With the release of his latest LP through Real Talk Ent., Freeway will add his name to the growing list of major heavyweights-gone-indie—a move that’s he’s confident will leave him with more paper to stack than ever before. On the lead single off Philadelphia Freeway 2, the rapper asks all listening to throw their Hands Up as he details his legendary hustle. Cozmo, the beatsmith who recently earned Booth accolades for his work on Sheek Louch‘s Time 2 Get Paid, backs Freeway’s characteristically gruff rhymes with a sweeping mix of music-box synths and orchestral/choral flourishes, and the result is a crowd-pleasing club cut with a street edge. Sure to have listeners goin’ stupid wherever it’s played, Hands Up can be found on the emcee’s third studio album when it drops on Tuesday.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Fast Forward ft. Freeway" (2006)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Drama x Don Cannon x Trendsetter Sense - The Boondocks Mixtape (Season 4)
- Mick Jenkins - Steam
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Chart (April 14, 2014)
- Future - Honest LP
- Nas - Illmatic XX
- Dizzy Wright - State of Mind EP
- Locksmith - A Thousand Cuts
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.