When an artist spends the first eight years of his career signed to a major label, a subsequent departure to independent pastures isn’t the easiest of transitions. Take rapper Freeway, for example; the Philadelphia native signed with Roc-A-Fella/Def Jam back in 1999, and released two albums during his tenure there. Post Free At Last, the “best beard in the game” is gearing up to release his third album, Freedom of Speech, and is confident that Everything’s Gonna Be Alright. Over production work from Chad West, Free and former labelmate Young Chris wax poetic about their positive outlook on their careers and life itself. Hey, when you’re rapping over an old-school, feel-good beat (see Naughty By Nature), it’s hard not to look at the world through rose-colored glasses.
Written by DJ Z on 10/20/08
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Fast Forward ft. Freeway" (2006)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Kanye Thinks Drake is #1 Right Now - Is He Right? (Rap Power Rankings)
- The Weeknd - King of the Fall
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Mick Jenkins, The Conscience #TopProspects
- Jeremih x Shlohmo - No More EP
- Drake’s New Album is Titled “Views From the 6”: Dope, Wack or Eh?
- Real Recognize Real: GoldLink on Loving Lil Bibby, Shaq & Robots
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (June 2014)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.