Formerly known for having his feet firmly planted on the streets at all times, Freeway‘s been moving towards loftier, more reflective territory since joining the Rhymesayers stable. The aptly-titled Escalators finds Philly heavyweight/freestyle series alum and behind-the-boards partner Jake One continuing in that vein, crafting a headphone-worthy banger exquisitely tuned to elevate listeners’ mindstates. Jake looks to Biggie‘s You’re Nobody Till Somebody Kills You for inspiration on the production tip, emulating the classic joint’s spacey mood in addition to borrrowing a vocal sample for the hook. Lyrically, Free takes a similar approach as on the previously-leaked Beautiful Music, dropping vivid, thoughtful bars about his quest for greatness. While Free seems to think his “halo raps” are destined to fly over listeners’ heads, I have a feeling Booth readers will have no trouble picking up what he’s putting down. Fans hungry for more new tunes from the duo who brought us The Stimulus Package should keep it locked for the latest on their very-slightly-renamed Diamond in the Ruff LP, which currently lacks a release date.
Written by richard on 10/19/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Fast Forward" (2006)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Best/Worst of the Week: Wale & Seinfeld, Kendrick on “SNL” & More
- Obsessively Breaking Down the Demo Version of Eminem’s “Lose Yourself”
- Isaiah Rashad’s “Cilvia Demo” vs. Mick Jenkins’ “The Water[s]”
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- The Worlds Needs a Freddie Gibbs x BJ The Chicago Kid Album
- Is Madonna Working on a Secret Rap Album?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)