Formerly known for having his feet firmly planted on the streets at all times, Freeway‘s been moving towards loftier, more reflective territory since joining the Rhymesayers stable. The aptly-titled Escalators finds Philly heavyweight/freestyle series alum and behind-the-boards partner Jake One continuing in that vein, crafting a headphone-worthy banger exquisitely tuned to elevate listeners’ mindstates. Jake looks to Biggie‘s You’re Nobody Till Somebody Kills You for inspiration on the production tip, emulating the classic joint’s spacey mood in addition to borrrowing a vocal sample for the hook. Lyrically, Free takes a similar approach as on the previously-leaked Beautiful Music, dropping vivid, thoughtful bars about his quest for greatness. While Free seems to think his “halo raps” are destined to fly over listeners’ heads, I have a feeling Booth readers will have no trouble picking up what he’s putting down. Fans hungry for more new tunes from the duo who brought us The Stimulus Package should keep it locked for the latest on their very-slightly-renamed Diamond in the Ruff LP, which currently lacks a release date.
Written by richard on 10/19/10
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Fast Forward ft. Freeway" (2006)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Kanye Thinks Drake is #1 Right Now - Is He Right? (Rap Power Rankings)
- The Weeknd - King of the Fall
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Mick Jenkins, The Conscience #TopProspects
- Jeremih x Shlohmo - No More EP
- Real Recognize Real: GoldLink on Loving Lil Bibby, Shaq & Robots
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (June 2014)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.