Formerly known for having his feet firmly planted on the streets at all times, Freeway‘s been moving towards loftier, more reflective territory since joining the Rhymesayers stable. The aptly-titled Escalators finds Philly heavyweight/freestyle series alum and behind-the-boards partner Jake One continuing in that vein, crafting a headphone-worthy banger exquisitely tuned to elevate listeners’ mindstates. Jake looks to Biggie‘s You’re Nobody Till Somebody Kills You for inspiration on the production tip, emulating the classic joint’s spacey mood in addition to borrrowing a vocal sample for the hook. Lyrically, Free takes a similar approach as on the previously-leaked Beautiful Music, dropping vivid, thoughtful bars about his quest for greatness. While Free seems to think his “halo raps” are destined to fly over listeners’ heads, I have a feeling Booth readers will have no trouble picking up what he’s putting down. Fans hungry for more new tunes from the duo who brought us The Stimulus Package should keep it locked for the latest on their very-slightly-renamed Diamond in the Ruff LP, which currently lacks a release date.
Written by richard on 10/19/10
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Fast Forward ft. Freeway" (2006)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Interview With a “White Rapper”: Rittz on Race, Respect & Hip-Hop
- Statik Selektah - What Goes Around
- Wiz Khalifa - Blacc Hollywood
- Top 20 Hip Hop / R&B Songs Chart (August 18, 2014)
- Lupe Fiasco Puts Ratchet Appeal With a Concept “Next To It”
- Kanye West is Right, the Media is the Fucking Worst
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.