Beauty may be in the eye of the beholder – or, as the case may be, the ear of the listener – but, judging by the Booth reaction to Philly heavyweight (and freestyle series alum) Freeway and behind-the-boards cohort Jake One‘s recent collaborative output, I think readers will agree that this new cut is indeed Beautiful Music. Single numero uno off the follow-up to this year’s acclaimed Stimulus Package LP, this joint is a relatively subdued affair, with Jake serving up a quiet, piano-led backdrop for Free’s alternately reflective and aggressive rhymes. In addition to summarizing his recent grind (“2009 we tried, 2010 we focused, tell ‘em jokers they can’t hold us, let me go for mines…”) and waxing poetic about the joys of groupie love, the Northeastern mainstay laces verse two with what may be the greatest cat impression in hip-hop history – who else thinks “me-e-ow!” should become his new signature ad-lib? Come on, it can’t be just me. Anyway, those who think Beautiful Music lives up to its lofty title will want to keep their browsers locked on the Booth for the latest on Diamond in the Rough, which has yet to receive a release date from Rhymesayers Ent.
Written by richard on 09/28/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Fast Forward" (2006)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: Nicki Minaj’s (Kinda Boring) “The Pinkprint”
- Mike WiLL Made-It - Ransom
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.