Beauty may be in the eye of the beholder – or, as the case may be, the ear of the listener – but, judging by the Booth reaction to Philly heavyweight (and freestyle series alum) Freeway and behind-the-boards cohort Jake One‘s recent collaborative output, I think readers will agree that this new cut is indeed Beautiful Music. Single numero uno off the follow-up to this year’s acclaimed Stimulus Package LP, this joint is a relatively subdued affair, with Jake serving up a quiet, piano-led backdrop for Free’s alternately reflective and aggressive rhymes. In addition to summarizing his recent grind (“2009 we tried, 2010 we focused, tell ‘em jokers they can’t hold us, let me go for mines…”) and waxing poetic about the joys of groupie love, the Northeastern mainstay laces verse two with what may be the greatest cat impression in hip-hop history – who else thinks “me-e-ow!” should become his new signature ad-lib? Come on, it can’t be just me. Anyway, those who think Beautiful Music lives up to its lofty title will want to keep their browsers locked on the Booth for the latest on Diamond in the Rough, which has yet to receive a release date from Rhymesayers Ent.
Written by richard on 09/28/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Fast Forward" (2006)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Reggie Bonds - Stream of Consciousness Pt. 1
- Eminem Vs. DJ Whoo Kid - Shady Classics
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.