When Freeway released his sophomore album, Free At Last, last November, widespread critical praise followed. In this era of cookie-cutter rap, Free distinguished himself as one of a few major emcees who puts his whole being into his work. On the newest buzz single from his upcoming junior album, Freedom of Speech, the Philly veteran steps up his metaphor game by comparing The Block in his hometown to a woman; though she had been there to support him for many years, he left her once the major fame and fortune came. Now independent once again, Free is ready to turn down all the big-time offers because he has his Baby Back. Produced by Blunt and featuring a short interpolation of the Chili’s restaurant jingle (near the end), Baby Back (The Block) leaves no doubt that Free is loyal to his streets.
Written by Burmy on 10/7/08
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Fast Forward" (2006)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Fast Food Music: How Our Hunger for More is Killing Hip-Hop
- Rihanna & Kanye’s “FourFiveSeconds” is a Blue Collar Anthem
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.