Is there anything Justin Timberlake can’t do? In addition to selling platinum albums, hosting SNL, appearing in blockbuster movies and bedding every Hollywood starlet breathing JT can now add rapper/producer to his resume with the release of Role Model. Along with co-producers Jim Jonsin and Rob Knox (for The Y’s), Mr. Timberlake crafts a marching band meets hard rock beat for Role Model that was apparently banging enough to inspire a (disclaimered) rap verse. But while their boss will obviously garner the initial spotlight for listeners it’s the men of FreeSol that turn this track from an experiment to a fully crafted song as keyboardist Premo D’anger, drummer Kickman Teddy and vocalist Elliot give the cut its live instrument feel. Add in an intricately flowed verse from resident rapper Free and it sounds like the Memphis quartet have a hit on their hands that, ironically, might just make them household names (not to mention musical role models). There’s no word, yet, on a release date for FreeSol’s upcoming No Rules debut, but you can count on The DJBooth to keep you informed. In the meantime, why not watch Role Model‘s visual counterpart?
Written by Nathan S. on 10/19/11
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Before You Slip" (2010)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- It’s Electric: An EDM Guide For the Hip-Hop Head
- Best/Worst Of The Week: Coolio Turns To Porn, Nicki’s Comical Booty & More
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Sean Brown - The Top
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.