After hearing Weezy regurgitate heavy-metal/punk clichés for a whole damn album (Yeah, I’m bitter about Rebirth. Sue me.), I have to say that the idea of a rock-themed hip-hop mixtape doesn’t strike me as all that appealing. Be that as it may, Before You Slip ensemble FreeSol have gone a long way toward allaying my doubts with title track RocknRolla, a record which sounds like it was made by people who actually like the music to which they’re paying homage (I’m still not sure about Wayne). Here, the group flip a sample from the Smashing Pumpkins’ 1979, garnished with some impressive original keyboard work by Premo D’anger, into a driving instrumental backdrop for frontman Free‘s energetic verses, which find him waxing poetic about a girl who has him “spinnin’ like a roller coaster,” while name-dropping everyone from U2 to ZZ Top. So, Booth readers, does this track truly rock? If you think so, you can hear more on the Memphis natives’ debut street album, set to hit the ‘net sometime in June.
Written by richard on 05/12/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Before You Slip" (2010)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- Rap Quiz: Bet You Can’t Guess The Album Cover Pt. 6
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.