After hearing Weezy regurgitate heavy-metal/punk clichés for a whole damn album (Yeah, I’m bitter about Rebirth. Sue me.), I have to say that the idea of a rock-themed hip-hop mixtape doesn’t strike me as all that appealing. Be that as it may, Before You Slip ensemble FreeSol have gone a long way toward allaying my doubts with title track RocknRolla, a record which sounds like it was made by people who actually like the music to which they’re paying homage (I’m still not sure about Wayne). Here, the group flip a sample from the Smashing Pumpkins’ 1979, garnished with some impressive original keyboard work by Premo D’anger, into a driving instrumental backdrop for frontman Free‘s energetic verses, which find him waxing poetic about a girl who has him “spinnin’ like a roller coaster,” while name-dropping everyone from U2 to ZZ Top. So, Booth readers, does this track truly rock? If you think so, you can hear more on the Memphis natives’ debut street album, set to hit the ‘net sometime in June.
Written by richard on 05/12/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Before You Slip" (2010)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- Freddie Gibbs x Madlib ft. Action Bronson, Joey BadA$$ & Ransom - Knicks (Remix)
- All 79 Things Chance the Rapper Hates on “No Better Blues”
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Sirah - Lilies
- ShayGray - No Sense of Accomplishment
- F*ck Norms: Why the Critics Are Wrong About Yung Lean
- Lorenzo Asher, The Director #TopProspects
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.