After hearing Weezy regurgitate heavy-metal/punk clichés for a whole damn album (Yeah, I’m bitter about Rebirth. Sue me.), I have to say that the idea of a rock-themed hip-hop mixtape doesn’t strike me as all that appealing. Be that as it may, Before You Slip ensemble FreeSol have gone a long way toward allaying my doubts with title track RocknRolla, a record which sounds like it was made by people who actually like the music to which they’re paying homage (I’m still not sure about Wayne). Here, the group flip a sample from the Smashing Pumpkins’ 1979, garnished with some impressive original keyboard work by Premo D’anger, into a driving instrumental backdrop for frontman Free‘s energetic verses, which find him waxing poetic about a girl who has him “spinnin’ like a roller coaster,” while name-dropping everyone from U2 to ZZ Top. So, Booth readers, does this track truly rock? If you think so, you can hear more on the Memphis natives’ debut street album, set to hit the ‘net sometime in June.
Written by richard on 05/12/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Before You Slip" (2010)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- The Worlds Needs a Freddie Gibbs x BJ The Chicago Kid Album
- Tasha The Amazon - Can’t Control Us
- Is Madonna Working on a Secret Rap Album?
- RyattFienix - Ryse of the Fienix
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)