If you’re like the rest of us, who have been wondering if Justin Timberlake is ever going make music again, the answer is “Yes*.” The reason for the asterisk is because the Timberlake is taking a behind-the-scenes approach, working the boards (with his Y’s production partner, Rob Knox) and developing new talent. That’s right, the singer slash actor is also a producer now, and his group FreeSol is currently what is on deck. The group’s new single Hoodies On, Hats Low is energetic, lively and 100% Memphis, all of which is proudly on display in the video. Their sound is rather unique in the sense that hip hop vocals are being backed by live instrumentation - not that it hasn’t been done before, but striking a balance between the live band element while maintaining that hip hop feel can be tricky. Hoodies On, Hats Low is slated to appear on the FreeSol’s upcoming album No Rules (which is executive produced by J. Timb as well). DJBooth has been up on the Interscope signee’s since ‘08, so we’re looking forward to hearing more from them once the album drops. If you’re digging the fresh new sounds of FreeSol, check back at DJBooth this fall when the project becomes available.
Written by Stephanie Vaughn on 09/6/11
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Before You Slip" (2010)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)