If you’re like the rest of us, who have been wondering if Justin Timberlake is ever going make music again, the answer is “Yes*.” The reason for the asterisk is because the Timberlake is taking a behind-the-scenes approach, working the boards (with his Y’s production partner, Rob Knox) and developing new talent. That’s right, the singer slash actor is also a producer now, and his group FreeSol is currently what is on deck. The group’s new single Hoodies On, Hats Low is energetic, lively and 100% Memphis, all of which is proudly on display in the video. Their sound is rather unique in the sense that hip hop vocals are being backed by live instrumentation - not that it hasn’t been done before, but striking a balance between the live band element while maintaining that hip hop feel can be tricky. Hoodies On, Hats Low is slated to appear on the FreeSol’s upcoming album No Rules (which is executive produced by J. Timb as well). DJBooth has been up on the Interscope signee’s since ‘08, so we’re looking forward to hearing more from them once the album drops. If you’re digging the fresh new sounds of FreeSol, check back at DJBooth this fall when the project becomes available.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Before You Slip" (2010)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Drama x Don Cannon x Trendsetter Sense - The Boondocks Mixtape (Season 4)
- Mick Jenkins - Steam
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Chart (April 14, 2014)
- Future - Honest LP
- Nas - Illmatic XX
- Dizzy Wright - State of Mind EP
- Locksmith - A Thousand Cuts
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.