Judging by the rave reviews received by recent features from Miami ensemble ArtOfficial, Booth readers have been nursing a serious craving for rock-infused, live-band hip-hop. Well, Memphis’ FreeSol are here to deliver the goods on new single (and Booth debut) Before I Slip Away, which finds keyboardist Premo D’anger, drummer Kickman Teddy, and vocalist Elliot repurposing Doors track The Crystal Ship as backdrop for emcee Free‘s lyrical meditations on life’s struggles. Along with the frontman’s poignant rhymes, the cut features soul-searching bars from three equally talented guests: Memphis veteran 8Ball, Marietta, Ga. up-and-comer Kyle Lucas, and longtime Booth favorite Outasight deliver diverse but complementary perspectives on loss and hardship. Those digging this catchy yet emotionally involving track can keep it locked for the latest details on FreeSol’s Before You Sleep LP, which has yet to receive a solid release date from the label brass.
Written by richard on 04/20/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.