One of my New Year’s resolutions is to listen to more hip-hop that I don’t normally listen to; it’s good get out of your comfort zone, especially when it comes to music. The first artist on my list is Freddie Gibbs. It isn’t like I don’t like him (his voice is beyond dope), I just haven’t ever really listened to a full album or project; we can’t listen to every artist out there. With the release of a new loosie, Thug Till It’s Over, it looks like I’ll be getting started on my resolution a little early and if each one is as dope as this effort, I might finally go through with a resolution. Though you might think the jazzy, feathery beat from Cookin’ Soul sounds best suited for a more laid-back emcee, or even a singer (it has a soul, R&B flavor to it), Gibbs really makes it his own. The veteran’s forceful, grimy flow and gangsta-friendly bars are a cool juxtaposition to the breezy beat. Though this effort isn’t part of anything larger, Gibbs does have another Madlib collabo album due out next year.
Written by Lucas G. on 12/20/13
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Bobble Head" (2007)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- T.I. ft. Young Thug, Lil Wayne & Jeezy - About The Money (Remix)
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Nikki Jean - Haile Selassie
- Every Logic Song We’ve Ever Featured
- Shady XV: Eminem is Dropping a New Album & I Don’t Care
- S1 Confirms Kanye West Working on New Album, Songs Are “Feel Good” #A3CProAudio
- 5 Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed (10/20)
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.