They say you have to hit Rock Bottom before you can truly change, but although the best rapper to ever come out of Gary, Indiana, Freddie Gibbs, and UGK for Life representer Bun B find themselves at the lowest of the low, it doesn’t look like they’ll be changing their dope rapping ways anytime soon. Like Gibbs’ last offering Ghetto, Rock Bottom is built around a superbly produced track, this time from the dynamic duo of Beatnick & K-Salaam, who lay down a smoky, subdued beat that Gibbs and Bun use to shine some light on the depths of their darkness: “I know the baby growing in her belly gotta eat too, the only thing I got left is this gun on my belt, if I can’t feed myself how am I gonna feed you?” Come on, did you expect anything less from a man who dropped a DJBooth freestyle this dope? Every day brings us a day closed to Gibbs’ highly anticipated new mixtape Str8 Killa No Filla, set to drop on July 27. They should make advent calendars for this ish.
Written by Nathan S. on 05/31/10
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Bobble Head" (2007)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Sean Brown - The Top
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Kanye Thinks Drake is #1 Right Now - Is He Right? (Rap Power Rankings)
- The Weeknd - King of the Fall
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Mick Jenkins, The Conscience #TopProspects
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (June 2014)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.