They say you have to hit Rock Bottom before you can truly change, but although the best rapper to ever come out of Gary, Indiana, Freddie Gibbs, and UGK for Life representer Bun B find themselves at the lowest of the low, it doesn’t look like they’ll be changing their dope rapping ways anytime soon. Like Gibbs’ last offering Ghetto, Rock Bottom is built around a superbly produced track, this time from the dynamic duo of Beatnick & K-Salaam, who lay down a smoky, subdued beat that Gibbs and Bun use to shine some light on the depths of their darkness: “I know the baby growing in her belly gotta eat too, the only thing I got left is this gun on my belt, if I can’t feed myself how am I gonna feed you?” Come on, did you expect anything less from a man who dropped a DJBooth freestyle this dope? Every day brings us a day closed to Gibbs’ highly anticipated new mixtape Str8 Killa No Filla, set to drop on July 27. They should make advent calendars for this ish.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Bobble Head" (2007)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Logic ft. Big Sean - Alright
- Top Remixes of the Month [April 2014]
- Asher Roth - Retrohash
- Iggy Azalea - The New Classic
- Joyner Lucas - Don’t Ask for Nothin
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Songs Chart (April 21, 2014)
- Behind The Boards Interview Series: Statik Selektah
- Future - Honest LP
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Whoo Kid Breaks Down His Essential DJ Set-Up
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.