They say you have to hit Rock Bottom before you can truly change, but although the best rapper to ever come out of Gary, Indiana, Freddie Gibbs, and UGK for Life representer Bun B find themselves at the lowest of the low, it doesn’t look like they’ll be changing their dope rapping ways anytime soon. Like Gibbs’ last offering Ghetto, Rock Bottom is built around a superbly produced track, this time from the dynamic duo of Beatnick & K-Salaam, who lay down a smoky, subdued beat that Gibbs and Bun use to shine some light on the depths of their darkness: “I know the baby growing in her belly gotta eat too, the only thing I got left is this gun on my belt, if I can’t feed myself how am I gonna feed you?” Come on, did you expect anything less from a man who dropped a DJBooth freestyle this dope? Every day brings us a day closed to Gibbs’ highly anticipated new mixtape Str8 Killa No Filla, set to drop on July 27. They should make advent calendars for this ish.
Written by Nathan S. on 05/31/10
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Bobble Head" (2007)
You Might Like...
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Rick Ross ft. Project Pat - Elvis Presley Blvd.
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Chris Brown ft. Trey Songz - Songs on 12 Play
- Dyme-A-Duzin - Hip Hope
- Max Wonders - Questions
- “I’m Real”: Five Questions With Raury
- Mick Jenkins - DJBooth RapBox Freestyle
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.