Most of us (I hope) can’t even imagine the circumstances that would drive us to consider armed robbery against a friend and neighbor who’s in equally dire straits, but such are the conditions that plague inner-city residents across the country. On unreleased cut Rob Me a N*gga, gangsta-turned-rap messiah Freddie Gibbs gives us a glimpse into the headspace of a hood forced to take penitentiary chances simply to pay the bills. Doing double-duty as hookman and producer, Big K.R.I.T. sets an appropriately somber mood behind the boards, layering acoustic-guitar arpeggios over mournful strings as Gibbs rationalizes victimizing a man who “...used to be [his] n*gga” just a year before: “Maybe me and him were never friends in the first place / Don’t mean a thing ‘cause we share the same birthplace.” Atlantic Records/Duct Tape emcee Alley Boy goes even further on the back, plotting murder in order to keep his pockets, and his stomach full. While this bleak (but technically dazzling) joint isn’t attached to any forthcoming Gibbs release, it can be found on Alley Boy’s Definition of F*ck Sh*t 2 mixtape, released last week and available now online.
Written by richard on 08/2/11
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Bobble Head" (2007)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- Best/Worst Of The Week: Coolio Turns To Porn, Nicki’s Comical Booty & More
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Sean Brown - The Top
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Kanye Thinks Drake is #1 Right Now - Is He Right? (Rap Power Rankings)
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.