Freddie Gibbs isn’t the type to mouth motivational platitudes but, when looked at in the right light, his story is downright inspirational: if a G from the impoverished city of Gary, Indiana can raise himself up from the criminal life to become a buzzing rapper, lose it all, then come back bigger than ever, “anything is Possible.” On the latest song release off L.A. Leakers’ new compilation mixtape, Gibbs showcases the serene self-confidence of a hustler who’s seen it all as he laces Cookin’ Soul‘s mellow Southern grooves with street-level snapshots of the grind. Complete with guest contributions from a few of Gibbs’ own ESGN signees, this is just one of many quality jams to be found on Draft Picks 2013, available now for free digital download.
Written by richard on 01/8/13
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Bobble Head" (2007)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Best/Worst of the Week: Wale & Seinfeld, Kendrick on “SNL” & More
- Obsessively Breaking Down the Demo Version of Eminem’s “Lose Yourself”
- Isaiah Rashad’s “Cilvia Demo” vs. Mick Jenkins’ “The Water[s]”
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- The Worlds Needs a Freddie Gibbs x BJ The Chicago Kid Album
- Is Madonna Working on a Secret Rap Album?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)