I’m not going to front. When I first saw that Freddie Gibbs has released a new track titled Oil Money I was nervous. Could Gangster Gibbs have finally sold out and crafted some Arab Money-esque joint for the radio? Nope, not even a little bit. Thankfully once I pressed play the only humming through my eardrums was a distinctly mellow and left-of-center beat, courtesy of the disturbingly named producer Blended Babies, and the type of dope rhymes mainstream radio wouldn’t dare touch. In addition to DJBooth Freestyle alum Gibbs laying down some mic work, Chuck Inglish (of the Cool Kids), the other Cleveland stoner rapper Chip Tha Ripper and UGK for lifer Bun B also throw down verses, with Black Keys vocalist Dan Auerbach supplying the enigmatic hook. So why is the song called Oil Money? I have no idea, but I do know it’s so dope I don’t care. We can expect more homicidal cuts without any filler when Gibbs’ actually highly anticipated EP Str8 Killa finally drops on August 3 via Decon Records.
Written by Nathan S. on 07/21/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Bobble Head" (2007)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Fast Food Music: How Our Hunger for More is Killing Hip-Hop
- Rihanna & Kanye’s “FourFiveSeconds” is a Blue Collar Anthem
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.