I’m not going to front. When I first saw that Freddie Gibbs has released a new track titled Oil Money I was nervous. Could Gangster Gibbs have finally sold out and crafted some Arab Money-esque joint for the radio? Nope, not even a little bit. Thankfully once I pressed play the only humming through my eardrums was a distinctly mellow and left-of-center beat, courtesy of the disturbingly named producer Blended Babies, and the type of dope rhymes mainstream radio wouldn’t dare touch. In addition to DJBooth Freestyle alum Gibbs laying down some mic work, Chuck Inglish (of the Cool Kids), the other Cleveland stoner rapper Chip Tha Ripper and UGK for lifer Bun B also throw down verses, with Black Keys vocalist Dan Auerbach supplying the enigmatic hook. So why is the song called Oil Money? I have no idea, but I do know it’s so dope I don’t care. We can expect more homicidal cuts without any filler when Gibbs’ actually highly anticipated EP Str8 Killa finally drops on August 3 via Decon Records.
Written by Nathan S. on 07/21/10
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Bobble Head" (2007)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Kanye Thinks Drake is #1 Right Now - Is He Right? (Rap Power Rankings)
- The Weeknd - King of the Fall
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Mick Jenkins, The Conscience #TopProspects
- Jeremih x Shlohmo - No More EP
- Real Recognize Real: GoldLink on Loving Lil Bibby, Shaq & Robots
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (June 2014)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.