While the rest of the world hyperventilated over Thank Me Later, the summer release I’m most interested in (besides Big Boi’s Chico Dusty) is Freddie Gibbs’ upcoming EP Str8 Killa. Can you blame me when the Gary, Indiana representer is consistently dropping dopeness in the Booth like The Ghetto, Rock Bottom and now his new single National Anthem (F*ck the World)? Appropriately, given the tracks’ title, National Anthem was produced by L.A. Riot Music, though contrary to their name the production duo also known as Josh the Goon & Speakerbomb craft a symphonic beat for Gibbs to flow over, and flow he does. In trademark fashion, Gangster Gibbs refuses to soften his delivery, dropping starkly real and surgically precise line after line about his ceaseless struggle against haters. I wouldn’t mind a different hook, but other than that, I’m all for making this hip-hop nation’s new national anthem. Str8 Killa the EP, due out August 3 via Decon Records, will also have a partner project, Str8 Killa the mixtape, due to drop July 29. It’s gonna be a dope, dope summer.
Listen to More: Freddie Gibbs
Written by Nathan S. on 06/30/10
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Bobble Head" (2007)
You Might Like...
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Interview With a “White Rapper”: Rittz on Race, Respect & Hip-Hop
- Statik Selektah - What Goes Around
- Wiz Khalifa - Blacc Hollywood
- Top 20 Hip Hop / R&B Songs Chart (August 18, 2014)
- Lupe Fiasco Puts Ratchet Appeal With a Concept “Next To It”
- Kanye West is Right, the Media is the Fucking Worst
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.