While the rest of the world hyperventilated over Thank Me Later, the summer release I’m most interested in (besides Big Boi’s Chico Dusty) is Freddie Gibbs’ upcoming EP Str8 Killa. Can you blame me when the Gary, Indiana representer is consistently dropping dopeness in the Booth like The Ghetto, Rock Bottom and now his new single National Anthem (F*ck the World)? Appropriately, given the tracks’ title, National Anthem was produced by L.A. Riot Music, though contrary to their name the production duo also known as Josh the Goon & Speakerbomb craft a symphonic beat for Gibbs to flow over, and flow he does. In trademark fashion, Gangster Gibbs refuses to soften his delivery, dropping starkly real and surgically precise line after line about his ceaseless struggle against haters. I wouldn’t mind a different hook, but other than that, I’m all for making this hip-hop nation’s new national anthem. Str8 Killa the EP, due out August 3 via Decon Records, will also have a partner project, Str8 Killa the mixtape, due to drop July 29. It’s gonna be a dope, dope summer.
Written by Nathan S. on 06/30/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Bobble Head" (2007)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 2014, The Year I Learned to Say Fuck the Police
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.