While the rest of the world hyperventilated over Thank Me Later, the summer release I’m most interested in (besides Big Boi’s Chico Dusty) is Freddie Gibbs’ upcoming EP Str8 Killa. Can you blame me when the Gary, Indiana representer is consistently dropping dopeness in the Booth like The Ghetto, Rock Bottom and now his new single National Anthem (F*ck the World)? Appropriately, given the tracks’ title, National Anthem was produced by L.A. Riot Music, though contrary to their name the production duo also known as Josh the Goon & Speakerbomb craft a symphonic beat for Gibbs to flow over, and flow he does. In trademark fashion, Gangster Gibbs refuses to soften his delivery, dropping starkly real and surgically precise line after line about his ceaseless struggle against haters. I wouldn’t mind a different hook, but other than that, I’m all for making this hip-hop nation’s new national anthem. Str8 Killa the EP, due out August 3 via Decon Records, will also have a partner project, Str8 Killa the mixtape, due to drop July 29. It’s gonna be a dope, dope summer.
Listen to More: Freddie Gibbs
Written by Nathan S. on 06/30/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Bobble Head" (2007)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- 5 More Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (September 2014)
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (9/26)
- Kings Dead - Don’t Need Much
- Nova Rockafeller ft. Michael Christmas - Problem
- Stalley ft. Rick Ross - Everything A Dope Boy Ever Wanted
- Saigon - GSNT3: The Troubled Times of Brian Carenard
- How to Get Your Music Posted Online: The Email Edition
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.