When you want to get f*cked up without the muss, fuss or actually tasting anything besides burning, you reach for the bottle of Everclear. Similarly, when you’re craving some hip-hop that’ll knock you on your ass through sheer force of gritty realism, no one gets the job done like Freddie Gibbs. 187 Proof, the lead street single off Gibbs’ next street album (premiered exclusively at The Smoking Section), the Gary, Indiana representer reminds us why his ‘hood credentials are rivaled by none, flowing over the trap-ready synth-percussion boardwork of J.U.S.T.I.C.E. League. Though, true to the title, the record is 93.5% hardcore G sh*t, the other 6.5% comes liberally laced with pop-referential wisecracks. I’m not sure which is funnier—Gibbs’ boast that he’s “sick like Muammar Gaddafi,” or his claim to “go stupid like [he] rode the bus to school with Waka Flocka.” So, is Gibbs speaking your language with this one? You can expect plenty more bruising bangers where this came from on his A Cold Day in Hell LP, which has yet to receive a solid drop date; keep it locked for release details!
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Bobble Head" (2007)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Drama x Don Cannon x Trendsetter Sense - The Boondocks Mixtape (Season 4)
- Mick Jenkins - Steam
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Chart (April 14, 2014)
- Future - Honest LP
- Nas - Illmatic XX
- Dizzy Wright - State of Mind EP
- Locksmith - A Thousand Cuts
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.