When you want to get f*cked up without the muss, fuss or actually tasting anything besides burning, you reach for the bottle of Everclear. Similarly, when you’re craving some hip-hop that’ll knock you on your ass through sheer force of gritty realism, no one gets the job done like Freddie Gibbs. 187 Proof, the lead street single off Gibbs’ next street album (premiered exclusively at The Smoking Section), the Gary, Indiana representer reminds us why his ‘hood credentials are rivaled by none, flowing over the trap-ready synth-percussion boardwork of J.U.S.T.I.C.E. League. Though, true to the title, the record is 93.5% hardcore G sh*t, the other 6.5% comes liberally laced with pop-referential wisecracks. I’m not sure which is funnier—Gibbs’ boast that he’s “sick like Muammar Gaddafi,” or his claim to “go stupid like [he] rode the bus to school with Waka Flocka.” So, is Gibbs speaking your language with this one? You can expect plenty more bruising bangers where this came from on his A Cold Day in Hell LP, which has yet to receive a solid drop date; keep it locked for release details!
Written by richard on 09/14/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Bobble Head" (2007)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Beyond the Lights: Machine Gun Kelly Learns to Act Like Himself
- Reggie Bonds - Stream of Consciousness Pt. 1
- Eminem Vs. DJ Whoo Kid - Shady Classics
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.