When you want to get f*cked up without the muss, fuss or actually tasting anything besides burning, you reach for the bottle of Everclear. Similarly, when you’re craving some hip-hop that’ll knock you on your ass through sheer force of gritty realism, no one gets the job done like Freddie Gibbs. 187 Proof, the lead street single off Gibbs’ next street album (premiered exclusively at The Smoking Section), the Gary, Indiana representer reminds us why his ‘hood credentials are rivaled by none, flowing over the trap-ready synth-percussion boardwork of J.U.S.T.I.C.E. League. Though, true to the title, the record is 93.5% hardcore G sh*t, the other 6.5% comes liberally laced with pop-referential wisecracks. I’m not sure which is funnier—Gibbs’ boast that he’s “sick like Muammar Gaddafi,” or his claim to “go stupid like [he] rode the bus to school with Waka Flocka.” So, is Gibbs speaking your language with this one? You can expect plenty more bruising bangers where this came from on his A Cold Day in Hell LP, which has yet to receive a solid drop date; keep it locked for release details!
Written by richard on 09/14/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Bobble Head" (2007)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- 5 More Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (September 2014)
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (9/26)
- Kings Dead - Don’t Need Much
- Nova Rockafeller ft. Michael Christmas - Problem
- Stalley ft. Rick Ross - Everything A Dope Boy Ever Wanted
- Saigon - GSNT3: The Troubled Times of Brian Carenard
- How to Get Your Music Posted Online: The Email Edition
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.