When you want to get f*cked up without the muss, fuss or actually tasting anything besides burning, you reach for the bottle of Everclear. Similarly, when you’re craving some hip-hop that’ll knock you on your ass through sheer force of gritty realism, no one gets the job done like Freddie Gibbs. 187 Proof, the lead street single off Gibbs’ next street album (premiered exclusively at The Smoking Section), the Gary, Indiana representer reminds us why his ‘hood credentials are rivaled by none, flowing over the trap-ready synth-percussion boardwork of J.U.S.T.I.C.E. League. Though, true to the title, the record is 93.5% hardcore G sh*t, the other 6.5% comes liberally laced with pop-referential wisecracks. I’m not sure which is funnier—Gibbs’ boast that he’s “sick like Muammar Gaddafi,” or his claim to “go stupid like [he] rode the bus to school with Waka Flocka.” So, is Gibbs speaking your language with this one? You can expect plenty more bruising bangers where this came from on his A Cold Day in Hell LP, which has yet to receive a solid drop date; keep it locked for release details!
Written by richard on 09/14/11
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Bobble Head" (2007)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)