To hungry up-and-comer Fred Knuxx, the rap game looks just like a delicious bag of Chips, and on this album cut he teams up with Stylin’ On ‘Em emcee Nametag to explain exactly why. Though food-based punchlines are as old as hip-hop itself, this record finds the Delaware rapper stretching the central metaphor to its absolute breaking point, with entertaining results—it’s not just the salty snack the twosome are talking about, either: chips as in money and the Erik Estrada-starring cop drama CHiPs make appearances here. Though the crackling brass sample that serves as the backbone of Sean Ross‘s instrumental is a little intense for a song revolving around junk-food-related puns, the end result is so ear-pleasing that it’s hard to care. Those who listen to rap for the wordplay are sure to find this cut as addictive as the salty snack from which it takes its name; if you’re craving more, stay tuned for the summer release of Knuxx’ latest LP, King of Grind, as well as the emcee’s contribution to our exclusive freestyle series.
Written by richard on 05/20/09
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Bring Back More ft. Akil the MC" (2008)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Best/Worst of the Week: My Anaconda Don’t Want None, French Mondashian & More
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (8/22)
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- Run The Jewels - Blockbuster Night (Part 1)
- T.I. ft. Skylar Grey - New National Anthem
- Interview With a “White Rapper”: Rittz on Race, Respect & Hip-Hop
- Wiz Khalifa - Blacc Hollywood
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.