Back in May of 2012, Frank Ramz made his first DJBooth appearance as a guest on Yung Nate‘s Whatchu Livin’ Like. Today, the up-and-coming rhymesayer returns to make his solo debut with new EP single Icons, a sobering reflection on artistic responsibility. Backed by UK beatmaker Charlie Hilton‘s pointed sampling of Billie Holiday’s Strange Fruit, the emcee calls out rappers who model stereotypical and self-destructive behavior before an audience of impressionable African-American youth, hampering their chances of success both individually and as a culture. Whether or not you agree with Ramz’ take on the current state of hip-hop, this joint should serve as a surefire conversation starter in the Booth and beyond. Those feeling it will be able to find Icons and much more on the artist’s Medicine Filled Candy EP, dropping digitally in the near future.
Written by richard on 02/13/13
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Whatchu Livin' Like" (2012)
Total DJ Booth Features:
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)