Back in May of 2012, Frank Ramz made his first DJBooth appearance as a guest on Yung Nate‘s Whatchu Livin’ Like. Today, the up-and-coming rhymesayer returns to make his solo debut with new EP single Icons, a sobering reflection on artistic responsibility. Backed by UK beatmaker Charlie Hilton‘s pointed sampling of Billie Holiday’s Strange Fruit, the emcee calls out rappers who model stereotypical and self-destructive behavior before an audience of impressionable African-American youth, hampering their chances of success both individually and as a culture. Whether or not you agree with Ramz’ take on the current state of hip-hop, this joint should serve as a surefire conversation starter in the Booth and beyond. Those feeling it will be able to find Icons and much more on the artist’s Medicine Filled Candy EP, dropping digitally in the near future.
Written by richard on 02/13/13
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Whatchu Livin' Like" (2012)
Total DJ Booth Features:
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Kanye Thinks Drake is #1 Right Now - Is He Right? (Rap Power Rankings)
- The Weeknd - King of the Fall
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Mick Jenkins, The Conscience #TopProspects
- Jeremih x Shlohmo - No More EP
- HD - BBQ Goldfish
- Drake’s New Album is Titled “Views From the 6”: Dope, Wack or Eh?
- Real Recognize Real: GoldLink on Loving Lil Bibby, Shaq & Robots
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (June 2014)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.