Unable to Watch this Youtube Video? Click here to play in Soundcloud instead.
Tyler the Creator is doing big things in the hip-hop game, but Frank Ocean may be the biggest star to emerge from the buzzmaking Odd Future collective. Most recently heard flexing his vocal muscles alongside Jay-Z and Kanye on two cuts off their justifiably-hyped Watch the Throne LP, the crooner is now preparing to flip his (phenomenal) Nostalgia, Ultra mixtape into a retail product. Swim Good, the latest single off the forthcoming re-release, is the perfect cut to introduce Ocean’s soulfully uncanny style to a wider audience. Heavyweight beatsmith Tricky Stewart does his thing behind the boards, layering moody synths over crisp percussion and stuttering bass as the artist spins a impressionistic lyrical narrative. In understated but vocally-impressive bars, he paints a picture of himself speeding down the highway in his Lincoln Towncar, dressed like he’s going to a funeral—which, as it turns out, is to be his own. A far cry from your typical R&B depiction of heartbreak, this smooth selection is just one of many set for inclusion on Nostalgia, Lite, which has been pushed by from its planned July 26, release to a yet-unspecified future date—keep it locked for all the latest.
Written by richard on 08/9/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Pyrite (Fool's Gold)" (2011)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Epic Fail: Bobby Shmurda’s Label Cashed In & Then Bailed Out
- Open Mic: Why Rappers Need to Play Small Shows
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.