While most know Odd Future Wolf Gang Kill Them All as the L.A. crew notorious for trashing hotel rooms, jumping Jimmy Fallon and ingesting enough drugs to kill a humpback whale, one of the OFWGKTAers sounds just a little different. Actually, Frank Ocean sounds a lot different. Instead of sparse, minimalist beats we get floating melodies, and instead of mumbled Satanic rhymes we get soft crooning, all qualities present on Ocean’s new release Pyrite (Fool’s Gold), a song that also serves as his Booth debut. Produced by the man himself, Pyrite finds Frank laying down a softly moving acoustic guitar riff that he fills with heartbroken, yet strong, lyrics about a relationship that was never meant to be, harmonizing with himself for good measure. It’s less Tyler the Creator, more Wallflowers, but will it receive the Booth’s approval? Hey, even a fool knows when a record’s gold, and DJBooth Nation are no fools. While Fool’s Gold didn’t make it onto the album, fans should go cop Ocean’s new free album, Nostalgia, Ultra, available now.
Written by Nathan S. on 03/28/11
Member Reviews and Ratings
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- It’s Electric: An EDM Guide For the Hip-Hop Head
- Best/Worst Of The Week: Coolio Turns To Porn, Nicki’s Comical Booty & More
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Sean Brown - The Top
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.