While most know Odd Future Wolf Gang Kill Them All as the L.A. crew notorious for trashing hotel rooms, jumping Jimmy Fallon and ingesting enough drugs to kill a humpback whale, one of the OFWGKTAers sounds just a little different. Actually, Frank Ocean sounds a lot different. Instead of sparse, minimalist beats we get floating melodies, and instead of mumbled Satanic rhymes we get soft crooning, all qualities present on Ocean’s new release Pyrite (Fool’s Gold), a song that also serves as his Booth debut. Produced by the man himself, Pyrite finds Frank laying down a softly moving acoustic guitar riff that he fills with heartbroken, yet strong, lyrics about a relationship that was never meant to be, harmonizing with himself for good measure. It’s less Tyler the Creator, more Wallflowers, but will it receive the Booth’s approval? Hey, even a fool knows when a record’s gold, and DJBooth Nation are no fools. While Fool’s Gold didn’t make it onto the album, fans should go cop Ocean’s new free album, Nostalgia, Ultra, available now.
Written by Nathan S. on 03/28/11
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Eminem Vs. DJ Whoo Kid - Shady Classics
- Omar LinX - Forgive Me
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.