Oft imitated but never equaled, the DJBooth Freestyle Series ran from February 2009 through June 2011. Its 250 total entries were the work of a veritable who’s-who of underground and emerging emcees, including rising stars like Kendrick Lamar, Wiz Khalifa and Mac Miller. Now, it’s back for a second round. The 10th entry in the relaunched series comes courtesy of Frank Leone, the Illinois representative last featured with October’s MONSTERS. On Night Brigade, the artist’s own eerie piano loops and slow-paced percussion back deft, conversational bars liberally spiced with internal rhyme. The beat drops out on the back, allowing him to showcase his blistering double-time flows a cappella. Leone is currently working on his self-produced new album, #EnterWILD.
Following this week’s installment, the DJBooth Freestyle Series will be going on a brief hiatus. Watch for freestyle #11 to hit our front page at the top of March.
Written by richard on 02/11/14
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Fast Food Music: How Our Hunger for More is Killing Hip-Hop
- Rihanna & Kanye’s “FourFiveSeconds” is a Blue Collar Anthem
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.