Booth newcomer Frank Lee White would be the first to admit that he’s, well, a little bit troubled – in the course of mixtape cut My Life, he reveals that he’s got a drinking problem, he’s fathered children with two different women, and he’s got quite a bit of emotional baggage due to a less-than ideal childhood. The ATL emcee is a mess and he knows it, but that doesn’t mean he’s going to change; on the hook, he sings, “I’ma do what I wanna/ Even if it means I’m a goner.” While White’s unrelentingly depressing self portrait isn’t accompanied by the kind of dark humor that made self-deprecation work so well for Eminem, it’s hard to take him completely seriously when he’s rapping over what sounds like a downbeat version of the theme from The Price Is Right (not that Don Cannon‘s beat is bad at all, just odd in this context). Regardless, this is definitely a catchy record, and should stir up some anticipation for the release of his DJ Drama-hosted Gangsta Grillz Presents: Hard White mixtape.
Written by richard on 02/5/09
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- S1 Confirms Kanye West Working on New Album, Songs Are “Feel Good” #A3CProAudio
- 5 Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed (10/20)
- PRhyme (Royce Da 5’9” & DJ Premier) - U Looz
- Lil Dicky ft. Michael Christmas & Rockie Fresh - Would You Believe That
- DeJ Loaf - Sell Sole
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- All 79 Things Chance the Rapper Hates on “No Better Blues”
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.