Booth newcomer Frank Lee White would be the first to admit that he’s, well, a little bit troubled – in the course of mixtape cut My Life, he reveals that he’s got a drinking problem, he’s fathered children with two different women, and he’s got quite a bit of emotional baggage due to a less-than ideal childhood. The ATL emcee is a mess and he knows it, but that doesn’t mean he’s going to change; on the hook, he sings, “I’ma do what I wanna/ Even if it means I’m a goner.” While White’s unrelentingly depressing self portrait isn’t accompanied by the kind of dark humor that made self-deprecation work so well for Eminem, it’s hard to take him completely seriously when he’s rapping over what sounds like a downbeat version of the theme from The Price Is Right (not that Don Cannon‘s beat is bad at all, just odd in this context). Regardless, this is definitely a catchy record, and should stir up some anticipation for the release of his DJ Drama-hosted Gangsta Grillz Presents: Hard White mixtape.
Listen to More: Frank Lee White Written by richard
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Drama x Don Cannon x Trendsetter Sense - The Boondocks Mixtape (Season 4)
- Mick Jenkins - Steam
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Chart (April 14, 2014)
- Future - Honest LP
- Nas - Illmatic XX
- Dizzy Wright - State of Mind EP
- Locksmith - A Thousand Cuts
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.