Booth newcomer Frank Lee White would be the first to admit that he’s, well, a little bit troubled – in the course of mixtape cut My Life, he reveals that he’s got a drinking problem, he’s fathered children with two different women, and he’s got quite a bit of emotional baggage due to a less-than ideal childhood. The ATL emcee is a mess and he knows it, but that doesn’t mean he’s going to change; on the hook, he sings, “I’ma do what I wanna/ Even if it means I’m a goner.” While White’s unrelentingly depressing self portrait isn’t accompanied by the kind of dark humor that made self-deprecation work so well for Eminem, it’s hard to take him completely seriously when he’s rapping over what sounds like a downbeat version of the theme from The Price Is Right (not that Don Cannon‘s beat is bad at all, just odd in this context). Regardless, this is definitely a catchy record, and should stir up some anticipation for the release of his DJ Drama-hosted Gangsta Grillz Presents: Hard White mixtape.
Listen to More: Frank Lee White
Written by richard on 02/5/09
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 2 Chainz ft. Young Thug - Dresser (Lil Boy)
- Jennifer Lopez ft. Iggy Azalea - Booty (Remix)
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Billy Blue - Pu$$y
- Lil Dicky - Lemme Freak
- Yelawolf - Till It’s Gone
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.