Booth newcomer Frank Lee White would be the first to admit that he’s, well, a little bit troubled – in the course of mixtape cut My Life, he reveals that he’s got a drinking problem, he’s fathered children with two different women, and he’s got quite a bit of emotional baggage due to a less-than ideal childhood. The ATL emcee is a mess and he knows it, but that doesn’t mean he’s going to change; on the hook, he sings, “I’ma do what I wanna/ Even if it means I’m a goner.” While White’s unrelentingly depressing self portrait isn’t accompanied by the kind of dark humor that made self-deprecation work so well for Eminem, it’s hard to take him completely seriously when he’s rapping over what sounds like a downbeat version of the theme from The Price Is Right (not that Don Cannon‘s beat is bad at all, just odd in this context). Regardless, this is definitely a catchy record, and should stir up some anticipation for the release of his DJ Drama-hosted Gangsta Grillz Presents: Hard White mixtape.
Listen to More: Frank Lee White
Written by richard on 02/5/09
Member Reviews and Ratings
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- It’s Electric: An EDM Guide For the Hip-Hop Head
- Best/Worst Of The Week: Coolio Turns To Porn, Nicki’s Comical Booty & More
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Sean Brown - The Top
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.