Thought Russian roulette (the game, not the Rihanna single) was dangerous? Try Sinister Roulette on for size. I mean, “sinister” is right there in the name. As for the actual rules, well, you’d have to ask South Jersey duo The Fortunate Ones, whose first Booth feature is as short on details as it is long on pensive beats and ominous lyrical poetry. Previously heard handling production duties on J.Y.‘s We All Good, the emcee/producers step out from behind the boards to introduce Booth readers to their dark, experimental brand of alternative hip-hop on the latest single off their forthcoming solo mixtape. With their own hazy, mechanically plodding boardwork bumping in the background, the tag-team drop some of the hands-down weirdest rhymes I’ve heard in a long minute. And yes, I mean that as a compliment; how can you not be intrigued by arcane couplets like, “I quote myself when I see circumference / Mongol mogul mind for the wise triumphant.”? Enough outta me, though – do you approve of this crew’s far-out style? If so, stay tuned for further details on the Fortunate Ones’ forthcoming street album, Sleepless Nights & Numb Hearts.
Written by richard on 04/21/11
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Rick Ross ft. Project Pat - Elvis Presley Blvd.
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Chris Brown ft. Trey Songz - Songs on 12 Play
- Dyme-A-Duzin - Hip Hope
- Max Wonders - Questions
- “I’m Real”: Five Questions With Raury
- Mick Jenkins - DJBooth RapBox Freestyle
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.