Regardless of the specific commodity being flaunted—one’s vocabulary, one’s material possessions, one’s street cred or one’s sex appeal—Showboating is a key ingredient in the rap formula; what sets one artist apart from the pack is their specific mode and style of stunting. On this unreleased cut (making its world premiere in the Booth), North Jersey duo The Fortunate Ones showcase their uniquely understated brand of swag—blasé, blunted and effortlessly innovative. Over their own ominous blend of music-box tinkling and clattering percussion rhythm, Genetics, Serge and guest emcee Trademark Da Skydiver drop bars packed with deadpan lyrical fire, declaring themselves above such petty indulgences as hard drugs (“Save your vices for yourself, I don’t need your Xanax”) and big money (“[I’m] rich in the mind, not the rich that’s pretentious”), and casting a skeptical eye on those who claim to be their homies. Showboats isn’t set for inclusion on any forthcoming project, but those intrigued by this moody selection can look forward to another world premiere from the Fortunate Ones in the near future.
Written by richard on 07/20/11
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Sinister Roulette" (2011)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- It’s Electric: An EDM Guide For the Hip-Hop Head
- Best/Worst Of The Week: Coolio Turns To Porn, Nicki’s Comical Booty & More
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Sean Brown - The Top
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.