Those who tuned in for ForteBowie’s DJBooth debut The Thesis may be forgiven for thinking that the Atlanta newcomer is just a seriously minded emcee but as he proves on new single Decatur the man’s also a obscure-sample loving producer and a pretty damn good singer too. Behind the boards Bowie grabs a sample of UK artist Bibio’s indie acoustic Lovers’ Carvings and amps up the volume, flexing his minimalistic muscles by adding in some organic percussion. It’s a simple but effective vehicle to deliver Bowie’s instantly relateable vocals, promising a long lost love that if she would only return to his hometown everything that was broken will be repaired. It’s a sentiment that fellow Decaturite (Decaturian?) and solar hip-hop proponent Aleon Craft echoes with a regret soaked guest verse (bonus points for the old school MJB reference). With the kind of range that Thesis and Decatur show there’s no telling what ForteBowie’s upcoming Something About Bowie album will sound like. You’ll just have to check RefinedHype on July 8 to find out.
Written by Nathan S. on 06/29/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"The Thesis" (2011)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.