Those who tuned in for ForteBowie’s DJBooth debut The Thesis may be forgiven for thinking that the Atlanta newcomer is just a seriously minded emcee but as he proves on new single Decatur the man’s also a obscure-sample loving producer and a pretty damn good singer too. Behind the boards Bowie grabs a sample of UK artist Bibio’s indie acoustic Lovers’ Carvings and amps up the volume, flexing his minimalistic muscles by adding in some organic percussion. It’s a simple but effective vehicle to deliver Bowie’s instantly relateable vocals, promising a long lost love that if she would only return to his hometown everything that was broken will be repaired. It’s a sentiment that fellow Decaturite (Decaturian?) and solar hip-hop proponent Aleon Craft echoes with a regret soaked guest verse (bonus points for the old school MJB reference). With the kind of range that Thesis and Decatur show there’s no telling what ForteBowie’s upcoming Something About Bowie album will sound like. You’ll just have to check RefinedHype on July 8 to find out.
Written by Nathan S. on 06/29/11
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"The Thesis" (2011)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- It’s Electric: An EDM Guide For the Hip-Hop Head
- Best/Worst Of The Week: Coolio Turns To Porn, Nicki’s Comical Booty & More
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Sean Brown - The Top
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.