Those who tuned in for ForteBowie’s DJBooth debut The Thesis may be forgiven for thinking that the Atlanta newcomer is just a seriously minded emcee but as he proves on new single Decatur the man’s also a obscure-sample loving producer and a pretty damn good singer too. Behind the boards Bowie grabs a sample of UK artist Bibio’s indie acoustic Lovers’ Carvings and amps up the volume, flexing his minimalistic muscles by adding in some organic percussion. It’s a simple but effective vehicle to deliver Bowie’s instantly relateable vocals, promising a long lost love that if she would only return to his hometown everything that was broken will be repaired. It’s a sentiment that fellow Decaturite (Decaturian?) and solar hip-hop proponent Aleon Craft echoes with a regret soaked guest verse (bonus points for the old school MJB reference). With the kind of range that Thesis and Decatur show there’s no telling what ForteBowie’s upcoming Something About Bowie album will sound like. You’ll just have to check RefinedHype on July 8 to find out.
Written by Nathan S. on 06/29/11
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"The Thesis" (2011)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Interview With a “White Rapper”: Rittz on Race, Respect & Hip-Hop
- Statik Selektah - What Goes Around
- Wiz Khalifa - Blacc Hollywood
- Top 20 Hip Hop / R&B Songs Chart (August 18, 2014)
- Lupe Fiasco Puts Ratchet Appeal With a Concept “Next To It”
- Kanye West is Right, the Media is the Fucking Worst
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.