Is it just me, or has the Booth been lacking a certain… dapperness of late? Oh, we haven’t featured any Fonzworth Bentley-related content in almost a year? That explains it. Here to rectify the situation is the nattily-dressed gentleman himself, with a brand new single of his long-awaited debut album-turned-mixtape, C.O.L.O.U.R.S. On Believe It, Bentley looks back upon his journey as a musician, compressing a memoir’s worth of material into three rapped verses. Flowing over a rolling breakbeat suffused with mellow synth chords courtesy of Alex (Don Cheegro) Chiger, Fonz charts his growth through a series of vignettes, detailing his middle-school struggles to learn the violin, his paternally-spurred stint in an MBA program, and finally a recent confrontation with his own mortality. The moral? With a little faith, you can weather any storm. And by way of happy coincidence, Faith herself – R&B singer Faith Evans, that is – makes a guest appearance, lacing the joint with her radiant hook vocals. So, how ‘bout it: are you craving more colorful tunes from hip-hop’s most foppish dandy? Fonz’ debut street album is set to drop April 22 (Good Friday), coinciding with the online debut of Kanye‘s G.O.O.D. Friday SXSW showcase.
Written by richard on 03/30/11
Submit your Rating
Bentley Music Group
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"My Girl Got A Girlfriend (Remix) ft. Fabolous & Red Cafe" (2007)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- D’Angelo Changed My Life & “Black Messiah” is Already a Classic
- J. Cole is the Most Important Voice in Music
- 2014, The Year I Learned to Say Fuck the Police
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.