Just because you listen to hip-hop, or in Folkz’ case, create hip-hop, doesn’t mean that you can’t listen to music that is outside the genre. On his latest grimy effort, 550, Folkz takes this lesson to the Nth degree by putting his own grungy spin on the Blind Melon classic, “No Rain,” at the end of the effort. Rest assured, 550 isn’t a cover, as there is some serious original content confined within the record’s roughly four minute run time. Over his own grimy production, led by a slurring guitar, the DMV spitta engages with a unique approach that is characterized by a relaxed flow and aggressive, weight-pushing bars that give this song a street-friendly vibe. It is not known if 550 will appear on Folkz’ Slumdogg Trillionaire project (due out sometime this year), but as always, keep your browsers locked to The DJBooth for all the latest.
Written by Lucas G. on 05/17/13
Submit your Rating
NU Revolution Ent. LLC./Topp Dogg Hill
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"The Waiting Line" (2010)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.