Just because you listen to hip-hop, or in Folkz’ case, create hip-hop, doesn’t mean that you can’t listen to music that is outside the genre. On his latest grimy effort, 550, Folkz takes this lesson to the Nth degree by putting his own grungy spin on the Blind Melon classic, “No Rain,” at the end of the effort. Rest assured, 550 isn’t a cover, as there is some serious original content confined within the record’s roughly four minute run time. Over his own grimy production, led by a slurring guitar, the DMV spitta engages with a unique approach that is characterized by a relaxed flow and aggressive, weight-pushing bars that give this song a street-friendly vibe. It is not known if 550 will appear on Folkz’ Slumdogg Trillionaire project (due out sometime this year), but as always, keep your browsers locked to The DJBooth for all the latest.
Written by Lucas G. on 05/17/13
Submit your Rating
NU Revolution Ent. LLC./Topp Dogg Hill
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"The Waiting Line" (2010)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Billy Blue - Pu$$y
- Red Cup Nation ft. Tommy Parker - Girls
- Lil Dicky - Lemme Freak
- Yelawolf - Till It’s Gone
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Rick Ross ft. Project Pat - Elvis Presley Blvd.
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.