Just because you listen to hip-hop, or in Folkz’ case, create hip-hop, doesn’t mean that you can’t listen to music that is outside the genre. On his latest grimy effort, 550, Folkz takes this lesson to the Nth degree by putting his own grungy spin on the Blind Melon classic, “No Rain,” at the end of the effort. Rest assured, 550 isn’t a cover, as there is some serious original content confined within the record’s roughly four minute run time. Over his own grimy production, led by a slurring guitar, the DMV spitta engages with a unique approach that is characterized by a relaxed flow and aggressive, weight-pushing bars that give this song a street-friendly vibe. It is not known if 550 will appear on Folkz’ Slumdogg Trillionaire project (due out sometime this year), but as always, keep your browsers locked to The DJBooth for all the latest.
Written by Lucas G. on 05/17/13
Submit your Rating
NU Revolution Ent. LLC./Topp Dogg Hill
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"The Waiting Line" (2010)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Epic Fail: Bobby Shmurda’s Label Cashed In & Then Bailed Out
- Open Mic: Why Rappers Need to Play Small Shows
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.