When it comes to spelling and punctuation, Focus… takes a laissez-faire approach. (I mean, you’ve gotta be pretty laid-back to end your stage name with a set of ellipses.) As befitting a producer and emcee, though, he’s got mad respect for the power of the spoken word. On a brand new single, his first feature since October 2013’s Ayaah Wayaah (The Love Song), the West Coast representative cautions emcees, “You better MYNhowYaTawk.” Over his own bluesy sample work, the headliner takes aim at rappers who don’t consider the effects of their lyrics, calling on them to take responsibility for what they’re spitting: “You wanna be different? Then stand with me / We could make sense for humanity, no coonery, no blasphemy.” T Hobbs‘s sliced, diced and rearranged vocals adorn the record’s hook. It’s currently unknown what project, if any, will feature this jam. We in the Booth, of course, will keep you posed on Focus’s plans as they solidify.
Written by richard on 03/5/14
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Shine ft. Bishop Lamont & Busta Rhymes" (2008)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- It’s Electric: An EDM Guide For the Hip-Hop Head
- Best/Worst Of The Week: Coolio Turns To Porn, Nicki’s Comical Booty & More
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Sean Brown - The Top
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.