When it comes to spelling and punctuation, Focus… takes a laissez-faire approach. (I mean, you’ve gotta be pretty laid-back to end your stage name with a set of ellipses.) As befitting a producer and emcee, though, he’s got mad respect for the power of the spoken word. On a brand new single, his first feature since October 2013’s Ayaah Wayaah (The Love Song), the West Coast representative cautions emcees, “You better MYNhowYaTawk.” Over his own bluesy sample work, the headliner takes aim at rappers who don’t consider the effects of their lyrics, calling on them to take responsibility for what they’re spitting: “You wanna be different? Then stand with me / We could make sense for humanity, no coonery, no blasphemy.” T Hobbs‘s sliced, diced and rearranged vocals adorn the record’s hook. It’s currently unknown what project, if any, will feature this jam. We in the Booth, of course, will keep you posed on Focus’s plans as they solidify.
Written by richard on 03/5/14
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Shine ft. Bishop Lamont & Busta Rhymes" (2008)
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Rick Ross ft. Project Pat - Elvis Presley Blvd.
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Chris Brown ft. Trey Songz - Songs on 12 Play
- Dyme-A-Duzin - Hip Hope
- “I’m Real”: Five Questions With Raury
- Mick Jenkins - DJBooth RapBox Freestyle
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.