When it comes to spelling and punctuation, Focus… takes a laissez-faire approach. (I mean, you’ve gotta be pretty laid-back to end your stage name with a set of ellipses.) As befitting a producer and emcee, though, he’s got mad respect for the power of the spoken word. On a brand new single, his first feature since October 2013’s Ayaah Wayaah (The Love Song), the West Coast representative cautions emcees, “You better MYNhowYaTawk.” Over his own bluesy sample work, the headliner takes aim at rappers who don’t consider the effects of their lyrics, calling on them to take responsibility for what they’re spitting: “You wanna be different? Then stand with me / We could make sense for humanity, no coonery, no blasphemy.” T Hobbs‘s sliced, diced and rearranged vocals adorn the record’s hook. It’s currently unknown what project, if any, will feature this jam. We in the Booth, of course, will keep you posed on Focus’s plans as they solidify.
Written by richard on 03/5/14
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Shine ft. Bishop Lamont & Busta Rhymes" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Lil Wayne ft. The LOX - Gotti
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (10/27)
- Jay Rock ft. Kendrick Lamar & Chantal - Pay For It
- Nicki Minaj ft. Drake, Lil Wayne & Chris Brown - Only
- Drake - 6 God EP
- Run the Jewels - RTJ2
- T.I. - Paperwork: The Motion Picture
- Shady XV: Eminem is Dropping a New Album & I Don’t Care
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.