When it comes to spelling and punctuation, Focus… takes a laissez-faire approach. (I mean, you’ve gotta be pretty laid-back to end your stage name with a set of ellipses.) As befitting a producer and emcee, though, he’s got mad respect for the power of the spoken word. On a brand new single, his first feature since October 2013’s Ayaah Wayaah (The Love Song), the West Coast representative cautions emcees, “You better MYNhowYaTawk.” Over his own bluesy sample work, the headliner takes aim at rappers who don’t consider the effects of their lyrics, calling on them to take responsibility for what they’re spitting: “You wanna be different? Then stand with me / We could make sense for humanity, no coonery, no blasphemy.” T Hobbs‘s sliced, diced and rearranged vocals adorn the record’s hook. It’s currently unknown what project, if any, will feature this jam. We in the Booth, of course, will keep you posed on Focus’s plans as they solidify.
Written by richard on 03/5/14
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Shine ft. Bishop Lamont & Busta Rhymes" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Reggie Bonds - Stream of Consciousness Pt. 1
- Eminem Vs. DJ Whoo Kid - Shady Classics
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.