We all know Focus… (I’m not just trailing off – the ellipses are part of his name) in his capacity as producer, but banging beats aren’t all he has to offer. Today, the Aftermath affiliate steps into the spotlight as a rapper and singer with Medusa, the second single off his forthcoming solo project. Over his own uniquely ear-pleasing production, driven by a classic surf-rock percussion rhythm, glossy synths and pizzicato strings, the artist compares a callous female to the titular mythological beast, whose very gaze could turn a man to stone. While mythology buffs may be disappointed to hear that Focus doesn’t solve his girl problems like Perseus did his – that is, by using a mirror to turn the monster’s powers against her, decapitating her, and walking off with the head as a trophy – fans of catchy tunes are very likely to enjoy this upbeat jam. Should Focus pursue the rapper/singer/producer path, or would he be best served to stay behind the boards? Debate away – or, reserve judgment till you hear what he has to offer on The Avant Garde Project, out May 4.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Shine ft. Bishop Lamont & Busta Rhymes" (2008)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Drama x Don Cannon x Trendsetter Sense - The Boondocks Mixtape (Season 4)
- Mick Jenkins - Steam
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Chart (April 14, 2014)
- Future - Honest LP
- Nas - Illmatic XX
- Dizzy Wright - State of Mind EP
- Locksmith - A Thousand Cuts
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.