We all know Focus… (I’m not just trailing off – the ellipses are part of his name) in his capacity as producer, but banging beats aren’t all he has to offer. Today, the Aftermath affiliate steps into the spotlight as a rapper and singer with Medusa, the second single off his forthcoming solo project. Over his own uniquely ear-pleasing production, driven by a classic surf-rock percussion rhythm, glossy synths and pizzicato strings, the artist compares a callous female to the titular mythological beast, whose very gaze could turn a man to stone. While mythology buffs may be disappointed to hear that Focus doesn’t solve his girl problems like Perseus did his – that is, by using a mirror to turn the monster’s powers against her, decapitating her, and walking off with the head as a trophy – fans of catchy tunes are very likely to enjoy this upbeat jam. Should Focus pursue the rapper/singer/producer path, or would he be best served to stay behind the boards? Debate away – or, reserve judgment till you hear what he has to offer on The Avant Garde Project, out May 4.
Written by richard on 04/1/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Shine ft. Bishop Lamont & Busta Rhymes" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Epic Fail: Bobby Shmurda’s Label Cashed In & Then Bailed Out
- Open Mic: Why Rappers Need to Play Small Shows
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.