We all know Focus… (I’m not just trailing off – the ellipses are part of his name) in his capacity as producer, but banging beats aren’t all he has to offer. Today, the Aftermath affiliate steps into the spotlight as a rapper and singer with Medusa, the second single off his forthcoming solo project. Over his own uniquely ear-pleasing production, driven by a classic surf-rock percussion rhythm, glossy synths and pizzicato strings, the artist compares a callous female to the titular mythological beast, whose very gaze could turn a man to stone. While mythology buffs may be disappointed to hear that Focus doesn’t solve his girl problems like Perseus did his – that is, by using a mirror to turn the monster’s powers against her, decapitating her, and walking off with the head as a trophy – fans of catchy tunes are very likely to enjoy this upbeat jam. Should Focus pursue the rapper/singer/producer path, or would he be best served to stay behind the boards? Debate away – or, reserve judgment till you hear what he has to offer on The Avant Garde Project, out May 4.
Written by richard on 04/1/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Shine ft. Bishop Lamont & Busta Rhymes" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 2 Chainz ft. Young Thug - Dresser (Lil Boy)
- Jennifer Lopez ft. Iggy Azalea - Booty (Remix)
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Billy Blue - Pu$$y
- Lil Dicky - Lemme Freak
- Yelawolf - Till It’s Gone
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.