We all know Focus… (I’m not just trailing off – the ellipses are part of his name) in his capacity as producer, but banging beats aren’t all he has to offer. Today, the Aftermath affiliate steps into the spotlight as a rapper and singer with Medusa, the second single off his forthcoming solo project. Over his own uniquely ear-pleasing production, driven by a classic surf-rock percussion rhythm, glossy synths and pizzicato strings, the artist compares a callous female to the titular mythological beast, whose very gaze could turn a man to stone. While mythology buffs may be disappointed to hear that Focus doesn’t solve his girl problems like Perseus did his – that is, by using a mirror to turn the monster’s powers against her, decapitating her, and walking off with the head as a trophy – fans of catchy tunes are very likely to enjoy this upbeat jam. Should Focus pursue the rapper/singer/producer path, or would he be best served to stay behind the boards? Debate away – or, reserve judgment till you hear what he has to offer on The Avant Garde Project, out May 4.
Written by richard on 04/1/10
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Shine ft. Bishop Lamont & Busta Rhymes" (2008)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Run The Jewels - Blockbuster Night (Part 1)
- T.I. ft. Skylar Grey - New National Anthem
- Interview With a “White Rapper”: Rittz on Race, Respect & Hip-Hop
- Statik Selektah - What Goes Around
- Wiz Khalifa - Blacc Hollywood
- Kanye West is Right, the Media is the Fucking Worst
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.