We all know Focus… (I’m not just trailing off – the ellipses are part of his name) in his capacity as producer, but banging beats aren’t all he has to offer. Today, the Aftermath affiliate steps into the spotlight as a rapper and singer with Medusa, the second single off his forthcoming solo project. Over his own uniquely ear-pleasing production, driven by a classic surf-rock percussion rhythm, glossy synths and pizzicato strings, the artist compares a callous female to the titular mythological beast, whose very gaze could turn a man to stone. While mythology buffs may be disappointed to hear that Focus doesn’t solve his girl problems like Perseus did his – that is, by using a mirror to turn the monster’s powers against her, decapitating her, and walking off with the head as a trophy – fans of catchy tunes are very likely to enjoy this upbeat jam. Should Focus pursue the rapper/singer/producer path, or would he be best served to stay behind the boards? Debate away – or, reserve judgment till you hear what he has to offer on The Avant Garde Project, out May 4.
Written by richard on 04/1/10
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Shine ft. Bishop Lamont & Busta Rhymes" (2008)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- After Wiz Khalifa’s “Blacc Hollywood”, What Does a Number One Album Mean?
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)