Able to craft hard-hitting, sampled rap beats and retro soul instrumentals with equal ease, Focus is nothing if not versatile. Now calling himself TheRealFocus…, the Aftermath in-house producer has undertaken perhaps his toughest challenge yet: on his latest project, he will recreate the sounds of some of the greatest beatsmiths of all time – starting, of course, with his legendary label boss. With booming bass, a laid-back rhythm and of course, that unmistakable synth whine, this Homage to Dr. Dre is drenched in its namesake’s trademark style. A Dre tribute wouldn’t be complete without guest bars from a few hot West Coast emcees, and this track’s lineup doesn’t disappoint. After Crooked I‘s opener, which finds the Long Beach vet reminiscing about his days with Death Row, Jay Rock (whose exclusive freestyle is also featured tonight!) jumps on board to list off a few of the legend’s many accomplishments and Holla (Remix) up-and-comer Kida delivers his own brand of lyrical nostalgia on the back end. Topped off with the smooth hook vocals of Marsha Ambrosius, HtDD will undoubtedly be music to the ears of Left Coast devotees. For more bangers dedicated to the production greats, grab Focus’ Pay Homage LP, due out in 2010.
Written by richard on 11/12/09
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Shine ft. Bishop Lamont & Busta Rhymes" (2008)
You Might Like...
Member Reviews and Ratings
- After Wiz Khalifa’s “Blacc Hollywood”, What Does a Number One Album Mean?
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)