Time for another pop quiz: what do you get when you mix Vodka & Rum? The answer, of course, is up-and-coming hip-hop duo Fly Gypsy (though I would also have accepted “part of a Long Island Iced Tea”). Made up of Russian beatsmith Alexei Jendayi and Jamaican-born emcee Komplex, the D.C.-based twosome are making their Booth debut with mixtape single Wildflower. Dedicated to a woman whose icy exterior masks a warm heart, this track boasts a beat as defiantly unconventional as the female in question; borrowing his mellow, tuneful boardwork from Puerto Rican guitar legend Jose Feliciano‘s cover of the Doors’ Light My Fire, Jendayi retains the sample’s slight Latin rhythm rather than springing for your typically booming rap percussion. The result doesn’t sound much like a hip-hop record, but Komplex’ rhymes hit home nonetheless, and the combination simply works – personally, I was sold the second the strings came in. If this inventive, genre-blending cut leaves you intrigued, you can find plenty more intoxicating jams on Fly Gypsy’s latest street album, available now for free download.
Written by richard on 09/30/09
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)