Time for another pop quiz: what do you get when you mix Vodka & Rum? The answer, of course, is up-and-coming hip-hop duo Fly Gypsy (though I would also have accepted “part of a Long Island Iced Tea”). Made up of Russian beatsmith Alexei Jendayi and Jamaican-born emcee Komplex, the D.C.-based twosome are making their Booth debut with mixtape single Wildflower. Dedicated to a woman whose icy exterior masks a warm heart, this track boasts a beat as defiantly unconventional as the female in question; borrowing his mellow, tuneful boardwork from Puerto Rican guitar legend Jose Feliciano‘s cover of the Doors’ Light My Fire, Jendayi retains the sample’s slight Latin rhythm rather than springing for your typically booming rap percussion. The result doesn’t sound much like a hip-hop record, but Komplex’ rhymes hit home nonetheless, and the combination simply works – personally, I was sold the second the strings came in. If this inventive, genre-blending cut leaves you intrigued, you can find plenty more intoxicating jams on Fly Gypsy’s latest street album, available now for free download.
Written by richard on 09/30/09
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Best/Worst Of The Week: DMX Loses His Shit (In a Good Way), Droog Still Isn’t Nas
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 2
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (July 2014)
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- It’s Electric: An EDM Guide For the Hip-Hop Head
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.