Time for another pop quiz: what do you get when you mix Vodka & Rum? The answer, of course, is up-and-coming hip-hop duo Fly Gypsy (though I would also have accepted “part of a Long Island Iced Tea”). Made up of Russian beatsmith Alexei Jendayi and Jamaican-born emcee Komplex, the D.C.-based twosome are making their Booth debut with mixtape single Wildflower. Dedicated to a woman whose icy exterior masks a warm heart, this track boasts a beat as defiantly unconventional as the female in question; borrowing his mellow, tuneful boardwork from Puerto Rican guitar legend Jose Feliciano‘s cover of the Doors’ Light My Fire, Jendayi retains the sample’s slight Latin rhythm rather than springing for your typically booming rap percussion. The result doesn’t sound much like a hip-hop record, but Komplex’ rhymes hit home nonetheless, and the combination simply works – personally, I was sold the second the strings came in. If this inventive, genre-blending cut leaves you intrigued, you can find plenty more intoxicating jams on Fly Gypsy’s latest street album, available now for free download.
Written by richard on 09/30/09
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Billy Blue - Pu$$y
- Red Cup Nation ft. Tommy Parker - Girls
- Lil Dicky - Lemme Freak
- Yelawolf - Till It’s Gone
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Rick Ross ft. Project Pat - Elvis Presley Blvd.
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.