With R.O.O.T.S. lead single Right Round, Flo Rida reworked Dead or Alive’s You Spin Me Round into a strip club anthem—a concept that, while ridiculous on paper, resulted in one of ‘09’s biggest hits to date. After hearing his latest single selection, all I can say is that Flo’s outdone himself. Remember I’m Blue, the ‘99 hit that was ultra-catchy way back when, but now exists as nothing but a slightly irritating memory? Well, prepare to hear that “Da ba dee, da ba die” chorus about a thousand more times—on Sugar, the emcee teams up with fellow Floridian DJ Montay and Surveillance singer Wynter Gordon to bring one-hit-wonder Eiffel 65’s one hit into the 21st century. Flo’s flow is tight and propulsive as he pays tribute to a woman whose kisses are sweet as candy, but it’s the chorus that will have this record on repeat in listeners’ heads (whether they like it or not). Easily as addictive as the titular substance, Sugar is sure to have R.O.O.T.S. flying off record store shelves on the 31st.
Written by richard on 03/9/09
First DJ Booth Appearance:
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Rick Ross ft. Project Pat - Elvis Presley Blvd.
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Chris Brown ft. Trey Songz - Songs on 12 Play
- Dyme-A-Duzin - Hip Hope
- “I’m Real”: Five Questions With Raury
- Mick Jenkins - DJBooth RapBox Freestyle
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.